Notices

Losing my patience with intoxicated family

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CBR

Losing my patience with intoxicated family

I've been sober now for 14 months. I'm low key about my sobriety and don't want other to feel I'm one of those EX drinkers who know it all. Far from it. But I find myself losing my patience and having no tolerance to listen to drunk people. I know others listened to me. Yet, I find I am bored and want to leave when around drunk people. My TV and couch start to call to me. Come home. I was quite the party girl early in my drinking. Now I'm a stick in the mud. What to do? These are usually family functions I need to attend.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel the same in those situations, I get frustrated with drunk talk and usually end up leaving early. I don't think it's a problem really, as long as you make an appearance and stay as long as you feel is comfortable, just leave before people get too messy.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drunk talk is indeed annoying. It's just a series of topics involving the great "I" and "ME". I can't believe anyone ever listened to my blabbing.

I still have friends that do the same thing. I'm learning just to politely excuse myself....they will just have to get over it.

All the best.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah dont worry, youre not the only one...I have NEVER been able to stand drunk people my whole life, which is ironic because half the time I was one of them. I can barely force myself to stay in a drunk persons presence when Im sober. Everything about it gets under my skin.
I even drove myself nuts sometimes, like while drunk Id have a moment of clarity and hear myself and think "Oh what a frickin idiot!" or if someone had taken a video of me drunk...uuugghhhh. I still have several videos of me while drunk saved on my computer, I watched them recently. Not pretty. I thought at the time I was making excellent, intriguing points in conversations, but really I just sounded like this "merp, merp, derp, burp, blerp... duhhhh"
Embarrassing. I could even tell the one sober person in the video was purposely trying to not hear me, and making a point NOT to respond to me, and I didnt even notice then! Unbelievable.
I'm gonna have to find a way to get past it though, because Im gonna be around plenty of drunk people in my future.
Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Avoid if at all possible. Being around drunk people is not something I enjoy and every minute of life is one you can't get back. That being said, sometimes you cannot completely avoid. In that case, I usually have an escape planned. My dog is sick, I have an appt, etc arranged so that I can make an early exit. I always bring my own car and have it parked so that I can get out. Sometimes I have a sober friend call or text me at a certain time for moral support. I will say that these occasions were much more difficult when I was early out and have gotten progressively easier as time has gone on.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Are you close enough with anyone there that you could be honest with? (I am no longer drinking, and I don't enjoy being around people who are intoxicated, no thank you for the invite). Easier said than done I'm sure. I would avoid any of the functions that I could and only make a short appearance if I had to go. If anyone asks, personally I would have no problem telling them the issue.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

if you can't be around drunk people, you can't be around drunk people. that's that.

everyone of these drunks getting up on their high-horses about how dumb drunk people are is not right either.

i'm in the same boat.

i need to admidt to myself i have the problem.

it is not worth it for me to be around drunk people right now
very seriously not worth it

but no one
every act like because the are sober, they are better then other people

thanks
bklyn gal