Notices

Getting sick in recovery

Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting sick in recovery

I find it amazing how I suffered through all those hang overs and walked around in a hang-over fog, but now I have some sort of viral infection (headache, running nose) coming on, I am so p-off about it! It's like, c'mon, I didn't do this to myself, so let me get on with my day, not hang around in bed with a sore head!
Sorry, just had to vent a bit of frustration... when I think about it, though my head is pounding, my mind is clear, unlike my millions of hangovers. I was so spaced out all the time. Just have to accept that this will pass, and I have to look after myself to make sure it does!

Day 16 today. I feel like this (sobriety) is what I want more than ever. When trying to stop drinking, I used to think (sooner or later) that being sober was only a break from drinking, and I'd drink again, sure enough. I know how my mind can switch, so I don't trust it, but at the moment when that thought comes in "you know, what if you plan to drink in say, x days" or "for the party coming up" I think it through. It's like, no, I don't want to get drunk, be bored (yes! Shock horror, do it enough and it is really boring), make a fool of myself, have a bad hang-over... So even though I feel sick atm, damn I feel good!

Have a great day people.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

lots of us find we get sick in early recovery - something to do with the change of not drinking/drugging I always thought...our immune system takes a battering doing what we used to do.

Get well soon

D
Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

It is a character building experience for sure. I try to focus on the overall picture of what my life will be. If I can write I try to write out some goals when I feel better. I also am grateful that I have access to healthcare if I need it. I think the gut level thing that really helped me was that I was now living life on lifes terms. I going through some pain and I was alive. I know each struggle I go to adds to my character.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Back when I got sober before a pretty major relapse I got sicker than I've ever been in my life, Mono! It was awful but I can only imagine how much worse it would have been with heavy drinking. Mono already is really rough on your liver so I am thankful I was at least a few weeks sober when I got sick, made it easier to stay sober through the illness. And it felt good to say to my doctor "I don't drink" when she told me I couldn't when I got the diagnosis.
And your body can heal itself better when it isn't fighting to get toxic alcohol out of your body. Not to mention all the dangers of combining OTC meds with alcohol.
It sounds like you have a different mind set this time and want to be done for good instead of "a break" and that's great I think you'll find more success that way! Best of luck to you!
I hope you feel better soon lots of rest and vitamin c!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ugh, I am sick too, keep thinking "I stopped drinking, stopped smoking, aren't I supposed to feel amazing!!" But instead I am stuffy and sneezy and coughing. Oh well, I know it just takes time for our bodies to rebuild after everything they've been put through. Hopefully we'll come back better than ever!