Notices

Belated depression?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Belated depression?

Hi all. I'm new here. Just to give an idea, I am an alcoholic and used to drink about 8-14 drinks every night for about 4 years. I have been sober for 32 days now. I thought I would be experiencing major withdrawal symptoms given how much I drank. But surpisingly, I was mildly happy the first 3 to 4 weeks. I wasn't incredibly energetic, but was getting way more done than I used to.

My anxiety plummeted, bringing it down to what most people would consider a mild anxiety problem, considering it used to be insanely bad (i.e. throat felt closed every night, insomnia, shaking, unable to talk to people, wavering voice, panic attacks, etc...). So that's really good.

However, I am really surprised by the fact that I have been significantly more depressed the past few days. It started about 3 days ago, and I'm sure it's just a withdrawal symptom, but I didn't know if anyone else has experienced or heard of depression coming this long after quitting drinking?

Given how much I drank, I suppose my body needed that time to really comprehend that I'm not longer drinking, thus postponing the depression? I don't know much about this and would love to hear if this is normal at all, or if I should go see a doctor. I will say that I haven't had the urge to drink at all though. In fact, if this is because of my alcoholism, then it's just more fuel for me to ensure I never drink again.

I don't feel suicidal, just hopeless and defeated. Often times the depression isn't even mental, meaning I'm not even thinking of sadness or hopelessness, but rather feeling it. It's like a wave across my brain and on occasions I almost start crying immediately without any reason. I have nothing against being emotional, but I will say that I'm a male and didn't ever cry often growing up, so I'm surprised at how overwhelming the urge to cry can be when nothing sad has even happened. Any comments or similar stories are welcome and appreciated.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jw

I think we're all different - I was certainly depressed a long time after I quit but I was depressed before I started drinking.

If you don't have a prior history, take a look at this link - it may or may not fit what you're going through:

PAWS « Digital Dharma

Ultimately tho, if you're worried, see a Dr - it's probably the most comprehensive way to tackle the problem

D
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ub3

We Alcoholics are like deep freezers we get clean and sober and the thawing begins misplaced emotion begin to surface and dislodge of there own accord... Alcoholism is a mental illness that needs treating like any other disease... I suggest you get to an AA meeting if yor not already doing so...youll be amazed at how many meetings are in your area then you can begin to start practising the 12 steps they are the medicine for our disease the practioner we call a sponser guides you through them... someone with some time under their belt and a working knowledge of practising the steps... If you take one step towards recovery... Recovery will take 3 towards you... Also check out Self Help Substance Abuse & Addiction Recovery | SMART Recovery® register and reach out for help... I hope this info assist you in taking the action required for positive change.. Just sitting and stewing will make for more unneeded suffering. Im with you in spirt... Peace and light