Notices

Finally Feel Like I'm Taking This Seriously

Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Feel Like I'm Taking This Seriously

I had agreed to a date tonight, knowing that it would be almost impossible for me not to drink. I felt incredibly bad, but I canceled it, because I have to put my sobriety first. The person was really excited about it, so it was getting harder and harder to cancel the past few days and I felt so much pressure. If I went on that date tonight, though, it wouldn’t have been for me. I KNOW what I need, and that is to stay sober. I’ll hate myself tomorrow if I wake up with a hang over. I could hardly sleep last night because I have been so stressed out about whether to go or not. I might be missing out on making a connection with someone really awesome, but the reality is that until I am happy with who I am and stable in sobriety, there’s really no point. I am also the type that when I get into a relationship I give, give, give and don’t put enough energy into myself. I’m making changes.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The conventional wisdom around AA (NOT a rule, by any means, but a suggestion often made) is to avoid relationship entanglements for the first year or so. And that goes for dates not involving any temptation to drink. The thing is that first, relationships are a distraction from the personal work we need to be doing on ourselves. Second, we tend not to be great relationship material until we have recovered sufficiently. Third, relationships can involve heartbreak or drama, both of which most of us have dealt with by drinking at them.

Sounds like you made the right decision this time, especially since you were feeling shaky about the evening.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good choice Janie x I think it's a necessity to concentrate on ourselves while we're getting sober x
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice work - glad you did that! Hope the rest of your weekend is calm, relaxing, and therapeutically healing for you. No shame in recuperating your own mental and physical health~
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you made a healthy choice Janie

D