Notices

What insures immunity from a drink?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What insures immunity from a drink?

When Bill W the one of the founders of AA was in the hospital for treatment of alcoholism he offered himself to God as he then understood God. He placed himself under his care. He admitted that of himself he was nothing and that without him he was lost. He faced his sins and became willing to have God take them away . He never drank again .

His school mate Ebby visited him, and he came clean with his problems and deficiencies. Together they made a list of people Bill had hurt or toward whom he felt resentment. He expressed his entire willingness to approach these individuals, admitting his wrongs. He was willing to right all wrongs as best as he could .

He tested his thinking by the new God-consciousness within. His common sense would thus become uncommon sense.

When in doubt he would ask only for direction and strength to meet his problems as God willed. He never prayed for himself except for how he could be useful to others.

When Bill W was laying in the hospital the thought came to him that there were thousands of hopeless alcoholics who might be glad to have what had been so freely given him.He thought he could help some of them. They in turn might work with others .

What you just read is beautiful because that is the 12 steps and Bill did them right in the hospital where he was being treated for alcoholism .

Chapter Seven is titled Working With Others. The first line reads, “Practical Experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics.” .

This sentence is pretty clear. “NOTHING WILL SO MUCH INSURE IMMUNITY FROM DRINKING as intensive work with other alcoholics.” The book states clearly that intensive work with other alcoholics is the most powerful tool to staying sober .

Bill W the founder of AA was often plagued by waves of self-pity and resentment that almost drove him back to drink but he found that when all other measures failed, work with another alcoholic would save the day.

Working with others is a huge part of my recovery. I have been coming around since 1981.

Though I wish I could say I am sober that long I am not, but I find when I encourage another alkie that I get out of myself and the last thing I want is to drink .

My sponsor made the point that Bill W and Dr Bob founders of AA went through the steps in a few days, and were taking others through the steps within a few weeks .

I was surprised by that and also amused when I would hear new people say they were on their 4th step after only a few weeks .

But it is not that unusual after all .

Today I completely disregard when someone says I don't have enough time to help others . I understand I can not sponsor folks, but I can reach out.

I have gone through the steps almost 3 times and I know what I need to do to stay sober and I know why I relapsed in the past. I learned .

Most importantly I have hope and I want to give people hope . My life is a miracle today and I want you to believe yours can be too.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

page 13