Notices

Drinking and Planes

Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking and Planes

Hi Everyone, well, after 30 hours of flights and layovers I am finally home! I made it through without a drink (tonight is night 4) which is kind of astounding as that was my favorite flying pastime for years.

Wanted to relate a quick story that happened yesterday that reminds me of one of the reasons I need to stay sober.

While I was waiting for the plane yesterday in the lounge (which is kind of a relative term given where I was) I noticed a kid about ten years my junior (mid-late twenties) pounding beers at the bar. He was a fellow American and saw me looking at him and decided to chat me up a bit about his time in Africa. He went on to relate what he thought was a wonderfully funny tale of how much alcohol he was able to consume and actually get on the flight on his way into the country. It was something like four White Russians, eight shots, six beers---a ton of booze. He was trying for the same record out of the country as well although only beer and vodka were to be had.

Karma is a bitch when you're trying to stop drinking so he was naturally seated next to me on the plane where I watched him put down eight vodkas and several beers before buying a bottle of whiskey from duty free on the plane that he planned to consume at the airport on the layover stop because he was certain they wouldn't serve him given how drunk he already was.

Reminded me of me although I never was able to physically consume that much. But I did once manage to drink so much in the first class lounge that I passed out there, missed my flight, and ended up in the hospital because they couldn't get me to wake up. That was two years ago and watching this kid yesterday all I could think was, "Dude, you'd better chill or you are going to get the worst wake-up call of your life sooner than you think---and you don't want it to be the one I had."

Of course I didn't tell him that because I was too busy trying to ignore his drinking so I wouldn't be tempted but planes and airports (and business and first class lounges) are dangerous places for recovering drunks. It's like a free-for-all and a minefield of possibly disasters. It's EVERYWHERE. Oddly never really noticed that (probably because I was too busy appreciating it) before.

Anyway, just wanted to relate that tale. It reminded me of one of my worst drunken episodes and why I need to constantly KEEP remembering them as reminders that even one drink can lead to that again. Easier some times than others
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been there before. Airports are definitely fun places to drink at. Its funny once things become clear to you, and you see someone who is acting as you once had, and you are able to feel sad for them. I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. A friend of a friend was clearly drinking out of control and making jokes about it, trying to enhance herself to others by talking up how she knows the bartenders here and there, and how much she would drink - as if it were a cool or good thing. It reminded me of a younger me. I felt sorry for the girl, hopefully she finds some sort of enlightenment on the matter. I guess we're lucky to be the ones on the other side of things now, huh?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a little worried about that. I am flying home to the states from China on Monday. Any tips on how to cope?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SasaKay View Post
I'm a little worried about that. I am flying home to the states from China on Monday. Any tips on how to cope?
Sleep a LOT
Old 02-16-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you posted about this as it hadn't even crossed my mind. Until I'm a full year sober I wouldn't have been in most situations.

I'm due to go on a trip to Ireland with work friends. You've just reminded me that another friend will ask me to bring her back a duty free bottle as she always does when I fly anywhere. She doesn't go out of her home much and never on holiday.

I'll start preparing my answer ready as there is no way I'm clinking through arrivals for someone else!!

Thank you

S x
Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll try to sleep. Unfortunately, I get anxiety on the plane and can't sleep.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sasa - maybe you can ask your doctor to give you something for anxiety just for the plane rides. Most likely, it will also help you to fall asleep. Either that or be prepared to have your mind bust with a book or even an audiobook to listen to.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ledgend effort PT !!!!! truley. xxxx
Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think that it's fantastic and inspirational to hear that you were able to stick with your goal of recovery on day four, while on an airplane. I'm so glad that you posted this, thanks! Today is my day four, which is a tough one for me. I had plans to fly this week, but I cancelled them because I feel too vulnerable right now. It's nice to hear that it can be done. Best to you!