Notices

phantom alcohol

Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

phantom alcohol

I was just drinking iced tea and after taking a sip had a slight taste of alcohol in my mouth. I sniffed it and the inside of the bottle it came from several times and I'm sure I was only imagining it, but my stomach dropped for a second when It happened! Anyone else ever had something like that happen? Weird!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

Sometimes when I drink orange juice I have the same thing happen to me. Must be all the screw drivers I had in the past.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did some baking around the holidays very soon after I stopped my daily/nightly drinking. When adding a splash of vanilla to the mix, I was overwhelmed by the alcohol smell. Not phantom of course - but it was so strong. Although the addicts brain tried to rationalize the potential buzz from tiny bottle sans a splash going into the brownies, the reality kicked in suddenly and said "that's going to not only taste like $hit, you won't feel a thing and that bottle cost you $6!"
I still have the bottle in the cupboard and I am not tempted to take a swig - if it was a bottle of the real thing - I can't say - yes I can say - It would probably be empty.
I did have a phantom alcohol experience drinking a can 7up. I could swear it had some vodka in it to the point I poured it out and got a fresh glass.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had this in the past when I stopped drinking but it was usually associated with things I used to mix my drinks with. Like OJ as DAB mentions above. I still have a hard time with orange juice because it just doesn't seem "real" without some vodka in it. Sprite and Ginger Ale? Forget it. Too bad as they were my favorites before I started drinking but now I can't drink them because I ruined them with alcohol. Thank God I never considered putting booze on ice cream or potato chips...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

I used to get smells and tastes for ages. They are hallucinations and I think they are normal while your body gets used to life without alcohol.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had that a lot, smells rather than taste though. It happens less often now though x
Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've had the after-taste of red wine appear as a phantom once or twice . Not very nice . i just go and find one of the several packets of breath mints i've got left over from my drinking days and suck on one of them for a bit .

Bestwishes, M