Notices

Has anyone seen this? (Nat Geo documentary)

Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone seen this? (Nat Geo documentary)

Drugged - High On Alcohol

It follows one person with a serious problem with alcohol, and his family. Also, the film takes a scientific look at what alcohol does to your body, and I think that's its main purpose.

...and I have to say wow, I really had no idea it could get this bad...
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for posting this. It was hard to watch being in day 2.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow. That was intense. I was shocked when they said he died after 17 days sober. I thought his organs would have been repairing themselves? I wish they wouldve said exactly what killed him.
It made me cry at the end. And strengthens my resolve.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. I've just watched it too. Very very scary sad stuff
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOW. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was challenging to watch but I think it might be good to show my students in health class when I'm teaching the alcohol unit. I really liked the way to documentary covered the medical aspect of alcohol use. It was a good reminder for me too!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was intense; almost like an alcoholic's version of scared straight. Just what I needed to see before the start of the weekend.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow. Very intense and sad. He seemed like he had a good heart
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This looks amazing-- thank you for posting the link!

In my experience, I've found it helpful to have reminders like this of where our disease can take us if we're not working in recovery. That's also why one of my primary weekly meetings is a newcomer's meeting-- it's the meeting that first got me sober 1 1/2 years ago today, and hearing from the newcomers there is a great reminder of why I made the effort to jump into a program and hang on to sobriety in the first place.

Thanks again, and best wishes in recovery!

C'sD
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've watched it twice before and was heartbroken both times. I was pretty shocked when he didn't make it. Definitely reinforces how important it is for me to stay sober. I wouldn't want to learn the lesson the hard way-by dying.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
Wow. That was intense. I was shocked when they said he died after 17 days sober. I thought his organs would have been repairing themselves? I wish they wouldve said exactly what killed him.
It made me cry at the end. And strengthens my resolve.
From what I know... the liver is the only organ that replenish. Alcohol takes a toll on nearly everything in your body. The liver is the most vulnerable, but also the most forgiving (it heals itself). So... I don't know.

I did cry too at the end. I'm such a man.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. It is heartbreaking to watch.

It could have been me.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I saw this last week, it was very profound for me.

I think first because I REALLY liked Ryan, he was just a gentle spirit, I wanted him to get better and rock the world. And second because he didn't make it, I too bawled like a baby at the end, I was shocked.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I also saw this last week. I felt bad for the kid; he was a mess. I had hoped he would make it through recovery, but his body was seriously ravaged. I too didn't realize the serious damage alcohol could do to the body. Very much an eye opener.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Powerful reminder. Countless of us die out there - painful deaths. I can just thank God that I am here, typing these words, in my house, with my family sleeping upstairs, in good health, not having picked up today, or a whole slew of days before today. I could have easily been that man.

thanks for the link
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Oh man I've seen a lot of intervention and documentaries but this one has got to be the gnarliest. As a recovering aaddict/alcoholic it was so difficult watching this, especially the hospital scenes. And whoa.. not to spoil anything but I was not expecting it to end like that.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Does anyone know the town/city where Ryan lived in because it was super beautiful and I want to move there. I was thinking lake tahoe or something maybe.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungAndClean View Post
Does anyone know the town/city where Ryan lived in because it was super beautiful and I want to move there. I was thinking lake tahoe or something maybe.
It looked like Lake Tahoe to me also. But I'm not postive. Nice area, I lived there for a winter many years ago (North Shore).
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the link.

Heartbreaking, really. I could relate to the jonsing for alcohol on a less severe level. It made me wonder where I would be a couple years down the road if I had continued on drinking.

It was also interesting to read through the comments/discussion left by his family and friends.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this story. Like Ryan we all have marvelous beauty in our own unique way. In a way the human body can be perceived as just that. I'm very sorry to his family for this loss of a precious life. I could relate with the way he arrived at a torturous tough time walking, My own drinking took me into a fall down a flight of stairs where I also felt horrible pain everyday. Only after it took about six months to heal completely did I see somebody that had to get serious and that person was me. If anything this episode shows how it really hurts all involved, When the lady told grandpa to choke I almost cried. Alcoholism is truly a larger than life tragedy, We as a support system must continue to help by sharing the love to those looking for the transformation into a brighter life.

Another