Notices

Goodbye anxiety

Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Goodbye anxiety

I'm just 4 days sober right now, but I've noticed a huge decrease in my anxiety levels. Back in the good old days, when I was a moderate drinker I had no anxiety or stress issues.
In the past three years, I've had a really stressful job and I've been drinking heavy every night. I always thought my drinking helped relieve my anxiety, but I never considered that my drinking could have contributed to it.
This week, work has been as stressful as ever. I've been chained to my desk from about 8:00 am to 10:00 pm every night, but I'm not stressing out about it, and I feel great.
This is such an unexpected benefit of giving up the booze.
Does this sound familiar to you experts with more sober time? If so, should I expect the anxiety to be gone forever or is it some sort of pink cloud effect?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Soopy, my anxiety levels decreased tremendously since I stopped drinking. After about a month of being sober I hardly have any anxiety at all. Just occasionally. One of the main reason I quit and continue to not drink is just because the anxiety from alcohol withdrawl got worse over time and I couldn't handle it anymore. Stay strong and congratulations on 4 days
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My anxiety literally dissapeared within matter of days of quitting. My husband made me read an article about the linkage between alcohol abuse and increased anxiety. I sort of blew it off, of course wanting to continue to drink, but a few weeks later, I got my wakeup call in the form of bad labs coming back from the Dr.
The trade off is rewarding and the lack of fear from doing even the simpliest lof things, like eating or driving are virtually gone.
Yes, I miss drinking - it was getting bad, but waking up not feeling like shi$ is great.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I was a wreck of stress.and anxiety in my using days. I'm much better now. I still get stressed and anxious at times but I am in a much better place to deal with it.

Natom.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, same here. Similar story to you with work stress levels and drinking too.

It took me a little longer than you; about a week or two, but I'm on Day 34 and my anxiety has gone and stayed gone. Its a miracle.

I got testicular cancer last year and had a really really bad time with anxiety levels and I thought my anxiety was due to that, but no, it was the alcohol!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol definitely exacerbated my anxiety, especially the next day after drinking it is out of control. Not drinking, cardio and strength training exercises have really helped to mellow me out. I still get anxiety about social situations, but I am still early in my recovery. On my own, I'm just grand though.