Notices

Finding a sponsor

Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Finding a sponsor

I am 90 says sober today! I got here by showing up at meetings, counseling and alot of white knuckling.
I feel like I should be doing more (getting a sponsor, working the steps) but I just can't get past the hurdle.
I'm afraid if I don't I will drink again, but I'm not a person who is used to sharing my feelings or asking for help.
How did you pick a sponsor? It seems like a very important step and I don't want to screw it up.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I knew I needed a sponsor or I wouldn't make it in AA.

I looked around and picked the best oldtimer I could find, someone who I knew I could never live up to, who was far better than I could ever be .... and asked him to be my sponsor.

He took me under his wing and began to teach me all he knew and soon I was becoming like him. I am becoming what I never believed possible. Sober, sane and serene.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I picked one today, one of the first people that I met when I started AA 6 weeks ago. We had gone out for coffee a few times before/after meetings. I picked him based on our similarity in age although he's a few years younger, his length of sobriety (7 plus years), the respect that other members have for him but most of all he is a no BS type of guy and won't treat me with kid gloves which is something I need.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I looked around and picked the best oldtimer I could find, someone who I knew I could never live up to, who was far better than I could ever be .... and asked him to be my sponsor.
This is what I did, and it worked out great. The oldtimer was too busy sponsoring others, so he referred me to someone he thought would work out. I have the oldtimer's phone number, and can stop by his house at ANY time if I am in a crisis. I meet with my sponsor twice a week.