Notices

How can you tell someone is drinking at work

Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How can you tell someone is drinking at work

I am deeply concerned to help my co-worker overcome his habit. I just want to be sure i am sure he has a problem and that i am helping him admit he has a problem and seek help. He says he has quit but I can still smell a strong odor from him every afternoon. Am I jumping to conclusions?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Minniemee View Post
I am deeply concerned to help my co-worker overcome his habit.
Welcome to SR. Your heart is in the right place. Your concern is commendable. But help him overcome his drinking problem? You aren't that powerful.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is clearly in fear of losing his job, so he likely won't admit to you or anyone at work that he has a problem. He is also ashamed that he cannot control his drinking and feeling out of control.

I would be honest with him and tell him what you are observing. If it is obvious to you, it is obvious to others. You can do this in a way that is supportive and will not feel like an attack. If he is ready to get help, he can safely inform his employer of his problem and his need for treatment without fear of retaliation. He should do this sober. A preemptive strike on his part will go a long way. If he waits for an "incident" to occur, he will be fired for cause.

You are more than a good co-worker, you are a good friend. I wish you luck.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very hard to help someone if you're not sure they have a problem. They may not.

It's even harder to help if they do have a problem and they don't want help minimee.

How much have you guys talked about it?

D
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Not only is it hard ( if not impossible ) to help someone else quit an addictive habit, you could be putting yourself and your job at risk by intervening in a very personal matter in the workplace. Unless you know him personally outside of work and he's confided with you there, I'd recommend steering completely clear of the situation. You could make the situation much worse for both you and him.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We have talked about this problem quite a bit. We even agreed to a 1 month no drink at all. I don't believe he has lived up to his end of the bargain. We are 2 weeks in and I smelled that odor again today. He keeps saying no he hasn't had anything to drink, Also found an empty Vodka bottle at work, thus prompting the 1 month no drink agreement.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I stunk for a few months after I quit drinking.

Are you in a position of authority to confront him? If so, do your job that you get paid for.

If not, be a friend and talk with him, but no one can make another stay stopped.

How's your life going right now? Maybe focus on you and what you are doing....it's about all we can do!

Hugs,
~sb
Old 02-14-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ding, ding ding - we have a winner -

Originally Posted by scottfromwi View Post
not only is it hard ( if not impossible ) to help someone else quit an addictive habit, you could be putting yourself and your job at risk by intervening in a very personal matter in the workplace. Unless you know him personally outside of work and he's confided with you there, i'd recommend steering completely clear of the situation. You could make the situation much worse for both you and him.
^^^^this!!!