Notices

No Desire

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Desire

Hello,
I h ave been sober (with three one-day relapses). In the beginning my brain was extremely foggy. It took some time to be able to think and feel again. Well now after a year I can think ok, but I just feel kinda blah. Not necessarly depressed - just not much desire to do much. I come to work and just kinda stare at my computer part of the day, an surf the internet a bit. I just can't seem to get the desire to get started on a project. I am the same at home - lots of stuff I say I would like to do - I just don't. I'm not really tired, but I sleep A LOT just to pass tthe time away. This is a very sad way to live my life but I just can't seem to get involved in much.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear ya on that. Seems like it take a LONG time to adjust to the sober lifestyle. It isn't easy. Now we deal with feelings and situations head on without being able to block them out or numb them in anyway and this often sucks life out of us. I had so much more energy when I was newly sober. I just hope things change for the better all the way around. It's all we can do...keeping sobriety first.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am the same Kitty. My doctors think it is depression. Even though I do not feel depressed a lot of the time it is the physical aspect of it. I have never felt so tired. I am having counselling which might help I think. Even though it doesn't feel that way I think there are thought processes which are causing me to feel this way. It has been something that has worried me a lot but now I'm kinda embracing it. I make sure I do the stuff I have to do but I don't let myself stress about the other stuff. Oh, regular exercise has helped a little. But it took getting a dog to motivate me to do that! All we can do is keep moving forward and hope it gets better. It beats being hungover tired anyday x
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad to know I am not the only one. Most other people just seem to enjoy their daily tasks for the most part, and they get really excited for the fun stuff they can do. Do you find once you get going you feel good? I do and I am always glad I got going, but it is just so hard to get started on something. Then sometimes I thinkm about it for too long and I get anxiety and that makes it even worse.

I am enjoying this website though. Thanks so much for your input.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not really, every time I do something I get a 'I'm glad that's over with' feeling
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kitty, I think I know where you are coming from when you speak about feeling better once you get going. I know that when I was off the meds I need be on, and drinking, everyday tasks would be put off, and anxiety would build up, so I would address the anxiety either by drinking, or by going back to bed. Now that I have stopped drinking, and now that my meds are back in order, I find that I sort of chip away at various tasks, so they get done at a reasonable pace, and never seem to build up to the point of becoming overwhelming. As well, this has allowed me time to re-engage in old interests, hobbies, whatever, so I always find myself busy without actually being aware that I am doing any work, so the feeling of being overwhelmed by day to day tasks involved in life
has gone away, as has the anxiety associated with feeling overwhelmed. Other little things help, too; where once getting 3 hours sleep was normal, I now get about 7 hours of solid sleep, just by going to bed quite early, and getting up quite early--I suppose that time that one goes to bed doesn't matter so much as having a regular sleep rountine, I just find that "farmer's hours" work for me as they mesh with my wife's schedule while still allowing me the quiet time which I so much enjoy. Anyway, hope that you get your energy back, maybe the fact that spring is not that far away will help---take care, rick
Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty View Post
Hello,
I h ave been sober (with three one-day relapses). In the beginning my brain was extremely foggy. It took some time to be able to think and feel again. Well now after a year I can think ok, but I just feel kinda blah. Not necessarly depressed - just not much desire to do much. I come to work and just kinda stare at my computer part of the day, an surf the internet a bit. I just can't seem to get the desire to get started on a project. I am the same at home - lots of stuff I say I would like to do - I just don't. I'm not really tired, but I sleep A LOT just to pass tthe time away. This is a very sad way to live my life but I just can't seem to get involved in much.
Are you involved in AA? Your avatar says "Let go and let God".... when you pray what does God move you to do?

When I feel lethargic like you are describing I find great relief in going to meetings and helping the newcomers. I get what I give.

Congrats on 1 yr. Now the fun (work) begins.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-15-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to how you feel PK. While I do have depression, I think....no, I know the reality for me is that I'm now sober and having to deal with life on life's terms and not my own. The first time I got sober I was 25. Now I'm 46. Big difference. Life has changed for me...a lot! I'm also learning how to take care of myself. Regardless of how blah my day is going, at least I'm handlng it much better as I'm sober...and so are you!!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Do you eat well? Exercise? I find that both can really improve mood and attitude.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, i could do better though. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

How are you treating your alcoholism? Not drinking is an awesome beginning, but maybe it's time to find a method for recovery.

Feeling blah and not engaged is also part of recovery--once the alcohol is gone, our brains need to "re-wire" themselves to get normal pleasure again.

Find a method of recovery and work with it to regain your enthusiasm for life!

Life is about action and getting things done!!!!

Take care,
~sb
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love your last sentence Sugar bear. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can share the same problem, I am on my 3-d week of recovery since I joined AA. My state of mind changes from pure euphoria that I finally made a decision and I am on the right track to feeling tired and yes, as you say, no desire to do anything. My sponsor says it's a normal process, and I find that regular AA meetings give me a lot of strength. I'd say I just feel very, very calm - when I drank I had more energy, but I was also nervous and anxious about everything. So I just treat this as a part of my recovery. But I had to postpone some serious projects and that worries me a bit...