Notices

Sobriety has helped me love better by: ___________

Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety has helped me love better by: ___________

How has sobriety helped you love others better?

For example, sobriety over time have stopped me from being quite so self centered. I don't take things as personally that others do or say. Sobriety allows me to be more compassionate and open. I don't put up as many obstacles and defenses now. And I am better at seeing others defenses for what they are. It is a start.

What about you? How has sobriety helped you show or feel love more than before?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aw now I know on this Valentines Day we have more people out there to add to this. How has sobriety changed how you love?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety has made me love better...
Because I've had to experience my grief without drinking.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

Valentine's Day is my sobriety date.

Sobriety has helped me love better because it's freed up that one-third of my brainpower that was constantly either dealing with my hangover, figuring out how to get another drink, lying about my drinking, or carefully regulating my behavior to hide how drunk I was. A lot of that regained thinking just naturally goes towards the people in my life, without my even consciously planning it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sobriety has helped me love better because the longer I am sober the less self absorbed I become. Little by little!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Heck, I've just now came to the clarity that I can love someone without being in love with them... Meaning, I can care deeply for someone, and that's all that matters. I don't have to marry them. They don't have to love me. But it's OK to just have feelings and not proceed through life as a robot!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

By helping me be more present for/with those I love, including my feline family. When I was using I didn't want to spend much time with my friends because I felt like they were getting in the way of me using. Or I was constantly manufacturing excuses to leave the room and go use. Now I am present and more relaxed in my interactions.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sobriety has helped me love better by being less self absorbed and by feeling more humble and less judgemental.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thought I'd revive this for Valentine's Day

Sobriety has helped me love better by:

Loving myself all the way through and knowing deep down that i am enough.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like you said, EQ, I think it starts with being OK with the person I see in the mirror. I found it hard to love someone else when I didn't like myself.

And of course it helps that my life is no longer a sham. Toward the end, I couldn't answer a question as simple as "How are you?" without the answer feeling like a lie. That can get in the way of intimacy, lol...

I felt love just as intensely then as now. I didn't love my daughter any less when I was drinking. Yet when I was with her, part of me was often somewhere else, regretting the night before, plotting the night ahead.

Now when I spend sometime with someone, it's really me, and I'm actually there.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sobriety forced me to experience my own thoughts and feelings, this allowed me to understand my own thoughts and feelings. This understanding allows me to share my thoughts and feelings without fear or hesitation.

These benefits of sobriety are all pretty new to me, but it's also very exciting. I knew I had to quit to stop the negative consequences of chronic alcohol use. Now I want to stay stopped to keep the positive consequences of sobriety rolling in.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Oh, and increased blood flow south of the border!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Sobriety has helped me to love better by helping me to see how selfish I was being when I drank and for helping me to be much more present in the moment.

And my partner says that now that I've stopped drinking I am far more alive and my eyes sparkle

Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Listening to others better <3
Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't know that it is possible to love people "better" or "worse" drinking or not drinking. Love is love.

It is how I treat people that demonstrates my love and respect for them today. Even my ability to tolerate what I could never before.

Today I live the Program. I treat the people I love like I love them. Sometimes I don't do so good. I had to make an apology to my daughter a little earlier. I was so angry and frustrated with situations that do not necessarily include her that I didn't demonstrate my love for her -- I was disrespectful and inconsiderate. Steps taught me how to evaluate my behavior honestly with another person much of the time and then do something about the situation.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Not mistaking lust for love near as often.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am able, and just as importantly willing, to listen to people now. Both I and other people know that I will remember the conversation. My husband now trusts me to keep his confidence. I am also better able to see people for who they really are, now that I'm actually paying attention. It's been quite an eye opener.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sobriety has helped me love better by being able to focus on the truth with my loved ones and has helped me love better because i do not have to keep secrets anymore.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Sobriety has helped me love better by reminding me that I am a mere carbon shaving in the vastness that is Life.

[In my deepest voice]: "Like sands in the hourglass...so are the days of our lives...".