Notices

I made it to day 30!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made it to day 30!

Hello there SR,

Well, the title of the thread pretty much sums it up. Today is my 30 day mark. I know it's not a long time, but I think I'm starting to feel better about it. All those drinking demons shouting at me "What about us? Hey, if you forget about us, you won't have any fun anymore...." Well, I've been trying to ignore them like badly behaving children, and the strategy seems to be working more or less. They've gone off to sulk with their tails between their legs now that realize I'm not playing their game. However, I hope this doesn't mean they haven't gone somewhere to re-organize their efforts!

I was complaining to my husband about being sick for the second time this months--"Dammit, I don't understand why I'm sick again. I quit drinking, I eat well, I'm sleeping well, and I exercise my a** off, literally. What gives?" And he said, "Sounds to me like your exercising the Booze demons out of your body. They're pissed off because your no fun for them anymore, so they're making you suffer before they leave and go to Chris W.'s house were it's more fun for them....hahahahaha." Chris W. being a friend of ours who likes his booze, etc. I know, bad joke. (Though it was my husbands joke, not mine)

Well, I'm still pissed off about being sick, but that made me chuckle. As they say, laughter is the best medicine, thought it appears to be failing it's job at the moment: I wish I was celebrating my 30 days by being out in this cold, but clear weather, ripping up the trails on my beloved mountain bike--and not stuck here on the couch hacking and wheezing, coughing, and feeling really irritated that I'm stuck on the couch doing all of the former. Soon enough, I suppose. Patience grasshopper.

Thanks for all the support here people, it's been invaluable. I'm a whacky chick with some crazy ideas that sometimes get a little abstract--so thanks for sticking it out with me, even if you had no idea what the hell I was talking about.

Cheers.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Awesome, that's a great accomplishment. I'm on day 38 myself and when you are just going day to day it doesn't seem like much...but when you look at the big picture it is!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

30 days

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you.
We tend to spend more time around people when living a sober life vs. the isolation. Hence, we're more exposed to germs. Keep up the great work. Best to you and your family.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Such great news - hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on your 30 days x
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jkb

30 days is a VERY BIG deal... Yay!!!! I love the idea of iginoring your "drinking demons"... they will get bored and leave eventually.. on or two may stick around to annoy you...lol. Good for you
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Good for you.
We tend to spend more time around people when living a sober life vs. the isolation. Hence, we're more exposed to germs. Keep up the great work. Best to you and your family.
Thanks! However, I'm an extrovert with Irish social/binge drinking gene, so unfortunately, I'm actually seeing LESS people right now than I was before, because I'm laying low and avoiding social situations that might trigger the desire to drink for the time being.

Unfortunately, bugs have been making the rounds at my kids school in record numbers this year, it seems. I try not to let my kid cough in my face, but if you have kids, you know that this is almost entirely impossible to control %100 percent of the time!

Cheers.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Congratulations, Gforce!

30 days is very important milestone. Keep it up!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings on the Island, G?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Are you going to AA meetings on the Island, G?
Yes, I am. I go to my hometown meeting on Tuesday and the Women's group on Thursday. I'd go to more if I could start catching rides with people. I asked a woman at the women's group to be my temporary sponsor, and she said to give her a call... which I have yet to do, because I HATE calling people I don't know, but I'm workin' up to it.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

:

I tried to do thirty "you rocks", but it's kind of like trying to put that many candles on a cake and the system just couldn't handle that much recovery!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awe geez,

It's the thought that counts, Coldfusion!

Just like with birthdays, after certain amount, I think it's fair to put a "representational" number of candles on the cake, so to speak. For instance, my husbands' turning 46 this year. I can't possibly fit 46 candles on cake (unless it's a really big cake.) so what I usually do in this case, is to put as many candles as I need to spell "46."

Thanks so much for rooting for me Coldfusion, and right back at ya'!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations G

D
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done! That's a great achievement!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, everyone! I really appreciate it. Coming here and practically journaling this journey in these forums has really helped me a lot. Better than a private journal, because people here actually respond to what I say!

However, though writing here has helped me a long this process, so has reading as much as I can here and responding to others.

After reading through the forums, I no longer feel like I'm alone in this, or that my drinking problem is unique to me. I have read so many other similar stories that I relate to so well, that I could have wrote those stories myself. So, this has given me the ability to have almost an outside perspective on my drinking problem--in the sense that, if I recognize myself in someone elses' story and say to myself, "yeah, reading this it sounds like they have a problem," and what they're saying sounds a lot like what I have said... well, there you go. If it walks like a duck...

Quack quack, fellow ducks.

Cheers to these forums!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes it is a long time, Gforce! It seems an eternity when we first start out. Great job - and you'll feel even better as time goes on. We're proud of you.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Many congrats great feeling huh!
(we share the same Sober Birthday! Im 30 days today too!)

Here to our next sober 30 days! Great job!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Excellent!
Another one moving off and leaving alcohol in the dust.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Sweeeet!