Notices

Day 3....

Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3....

Going on day 3 of first serious attempt to quit drinking. Tried to give it up for 60 days as part of a nutrition challenge at the gym last spring, not a lot of physical problems but was totally unprepared for the mental part of it. Gave up after 30 days. This time going in with different mindset: researched it online, went to my doc, was referred to counselor. Had a good visit with him yesterday also contacted two old friends who have been successful in their efforts to quit. Planning on lots of exercise, changing routines, relying on support of friends and support groups. Not sure about AA but I will keep an open mind.

These forums help a lot, just reading about similar situations and coping mechanisms. I have been drinking for close to 35 years, started in high school and recently was up to about 1.5 bottles of wine a night, more on weekends - feel fortunate thus far to escape some of the physical aspects that others have experienced but I am in relatively good shape (crossfit twice a week) and am familiar with healthy dieting.

Question for the group: What is the consensus for anti craving/anxiety meds? I want no part of Benzos but felt my undoing last year was approach going in (ie - temp stoppage vs. outright quitting). My wife's theory is that I don't necessarily have an alcohol issue, I have an anxiety issue that I medicate with booze. She may be right as last year had no physical cravings or desire for alcohol so much - just more feelings of "foggy" head, anxiousness, just did not feel comfortable for short waves. All of theses seem to be common with PAWS and maybe the 30 days last year just wasn't enough to break through the symptoms....see where some may linger for up to a year or more.....

Sorry for long first post but want to get some stuff on the table....
Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my day 3 too! Good Job!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by VACrowe View Post
My wife's theory is that I don't necessarily have an alcohol issue, I have an anxiety issue that I medicate with booze.
My wife had the same theory about me several years ago. I tried 4 different anti-depression medications, hated them all, and continued to drink. As it turns out, I just like to be drunk. I was 'anxious' when I wasn't drinking.

I have no idea if your situation is similar to mine, but I HIGHLY recommend getting off the booze before trying to diagnose or treat anything else.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nonsensical - LOL! I do like to drink as well! I tend to agree with you but feel there maybe some validity to what she says. I think I did not give it enough time the last go around and since my intention was to "give it up for 60 days" it was much easier to talk myself into declaring " victory" after 30 days. If I am not seeing improvement ( with the anxiety) Over time I will probably address it with my Doc. But figure that could be 6 months out. Long ways to go just to get there. Days aren't bad. Evenings and weekends are where the mind games kick in. Need to plan activities ahead of time to keep my brain occupied!

May have to avoid concerts for a while which sucks because I love live music....