Help SR friends. suggest a book

Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help SR friends. suggest a book

Hi, I am a wife of a RAH but I am not here for me today. My friend's son was depressed using drugs/alcohol and hung himself last week. As a mother I can only imagine how she is feeling. I would like to get her a book to help start her on her long journey to recovery. Please suggest a book that might be able to help this mother. THANKS!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't think of any title but a book about recovering from grief -

I doubt she is in book reading mode. Just be a supportive friend and perhaps suggest grief counseling - probably more effective for her right now.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If you do a search about recovering from grief you might find some wonderful titles. There is also a grief forum on the SR site--someone there might be able to suggest one.

Maybe you could also go with your friend to a grief support group if she feels up to it. I know there are also websites specifically for survivors of suicide.

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss--and I agree with redatlanta--your friend probably needs a friend and a shoulder to cry on for a while.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

stepsforward-A family friend overdosed last week. He had been sober for 5 years-but nobody knows if it was accidental or on purpose. Either way-it's very very sad. With our friend (it was her son) we have just been offering tons of hugs. We text her often to check in and see how she is, and I just sent her some Shari's Berris. I also make sure to tell her often to let me know if she needs ANYTHING at all. I think recovering from grief would be a good book but I agree that she may not be in book reading mode yet. If it were me I think I would just need some time to be sad and cry on friends shoulders. Maybe ask what you can do for her? Ask her what she needs?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

God never put up with chronic rebellious sinful behavior with his "wife" Israel and He doesnt expect us to either! I completely believe the modern church is clueless on how to deal with alcoholism especially when the offending spouse adds scripture twisting to his weapons.

You can file for a divorce, list why and what it would take to reconcile in repentance and FRUIT rAther than. Empty talk.

Google the book Redemptive Divorce. It is right on and biblically accurate IMO ... And I have studied it out!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The Grief Club, Melody Beattie. She lost her son, too.

The Grief Club: The Secret to Getting Through All Kinds of Change: Melody Beattie: 9781592853496: Amazon.com: Books

There's even a website: The Grief Club