Notices

Introduction and such

Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction and such

Today I have discovered for sure that I have a physical dependency on alcohol. I suspected it last week but confirmed it today. Which has led me to this forum.

I've been a high functioning alcoholic for many years. However during the last year I started drinking earlier and earlier in the day, to the point that I was going through 750ml of vodka a day. Obviously this is not good and it's time to fix this issue.

Late last week I detected symptoms and started to get concerned. Today I decided it was time to quit. Originally I had planned to just go cold turkey but after research the subject today I realize that would be a bad idea as I'm already under medication for high blood pressure which was probably brought on by the drinking. But reading about the symptoms I was experiencing was quite sobering literally.

So I'm planning on the tapering off approach. Any ideas or suggestions (and of course encouragement) would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking what I'll do is start tracking everything in a spreadsheet. I will be changing to start shots to start with as that way my consumption will be easier to track. But I'm sure there are some of you that have far better ideas than this. I have read about the beer approach as well but I"m not a fan of beer.

Anyway, that's where I'm at today. I've been a newbie in many forums and I know they generally don't post something this detailed for their first post, but I don't have much of a choice on fixing my problem so I'm going in feet first on this.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to the club....I'm a drunk too - 750 was my daily dosage. I can tell you that I've been continually sober (not one sip) for 81 full days and I'm in my 82nd. For me there's no taper, I'm an alcoholic, one is too many and 20 drinks isn't enough. Good luck with the taper approach.

There is life after alcohol, there are so many shining examples of sobriety keep visiting.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll have to get to that point as well I am sure. I just need to get past the physical symptoms first. Tackle the problems one at a time I guess.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mark,

Have you been to see a doctor? Detoxing yourself can be very dangerous and you may need medical assistance. Having a check up is never a bad idea anyway.

All the best with your journey

Sam
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

I agree with Bambi - if you're already on meds for high BP tapering/detoxing yourself could be dangerous.

see a Dr, Mark.

D
Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Could you a medical detox instead? I kind of tapered but not really successfully, I went up and down a lot, y'know, cos I wasn't very good at controlling my drinking. If you really want to taper you could do that with support as well. Having an end date in mind is a really good idea too. Welcome to SR x
Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just had a checkup not that long ago with no problems. I've stayed active and all of that. The plan is to cut back to an oz an hour for a day or two starting at noon, then 3/4 of one an hour for a day or two, then 1/2, so on and so forth. I've got a BP machine at home and will be keeping an eye on it. I check it each day anyway and most days it is 120/90 or so. I told my wife about it and she's going to be keeping an eye on me as well. At the first sign of any issues I'll head to the Dr. Just don't want this on my insurance record if possible.

Believe me, I've researched this enough today to be well aware of the consequences of doing this on my own. I don't know if they allow posting links on here, but there is an article on hamsnetwork that I'm using for a guideline for now.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Mark,

I did a taper pretty much as you've described, and although it worked out OK for me, medical supervision is the safest way to go. If you are determined to do it on your own, please be safe and do call for help if you experience any scary symptoms.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We'll see how it goes and be careful about it. Thanks for the PM but I can't respond until I have 5 posts it seems.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Despite my exhaustive internet research, I had a real bad last detox.
Thats why I always recommend a Dr.
sometimes we need an outside, removed, perspective too, I think.

Of course it's your call - I wish you the best.

D
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, my wife will be keeping an eye on me. I'll be taking bp and pulse every hour and take it from there. I'm tracking it on a spreadsheet so I will have some trending as I do this.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here is where I'm at so far. Took I drink per hour most of yesterday. Monitored bp and pulse hourly. Interesting the pulse is dropping a bit but the bp is staying steady. Didn't sleep for crap last night, probably because I' used to going to bed toasted and just pass out. It was nice waking up without a hangover today though.

Took baseline numbers just now, pulse is still down and bp slightly elevated. Just took my first drink a bit ago. I check everything at the top of the hour and that is when I take my drink as well.

I'm tracking all of this in a spreadsheet. In addition to the time, drink amt and numbers I'm keeping comments about how I feel. I thought they might be interesting to read some day in the future to prevent me from doing something stupid.

As for symptoms I'm experiencing, not much at all last night other than a slight headache on and off. Today woke up fine around 7 but by 10 I look the first drink as I didn't want to get to the point about how bad I felt yesterday. I am experiencing a slight headache on and off today. TBH, I'm having some allergy problems right now so not sure if that is related or not.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, it's Friday and I'm down to 1/2 oz of booze every hour or two depending on how I feel. I'm trying to stretch things out a bit more now.

I alternate mixing with either 16 oz of water or gatoraide. Once I'm done with the booze I'll keep drinking the same amount of water as a placebo. I'm keeping religious about monitoring bp and heartrate each hour. No surprises so far and the only symptom has been a light headache a time or two each day.

Saturday I'll probably stick with the 1/2 oz shot every two or three hours. Or else go down to a 1/4 oz each hour and see how that goes. With any luck on Monday I should be able to go alcohol free, Tuesday at the latest.