Notices

Stuck in bed and miserable

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuck in bed and miserable

Hi Everyone, Here I am home from work again -just laying in this awful bed. I have replaced drinking with sleeping. I hate it. The decision seems so simple- get up and live your life, or lay in bed and sleep your life away. Why do I so often choose the later? Anyone been here? Any advice/encouragement?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Get up eat something , drink some water, coffee, tea something then go for a walk. I don't know if it is bad weather where you are but bundle up and just go around the block. Fresh air and movement always good
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today is a Gift

When I stopped drinking I discovered I had chronic fatigue. I slept a lot that first year. I still struggle with it. The doctors have not been much help. It's not really a choice. I have found some relief through proper nutrition (which includes no alcohol lol). Not going to work and staying in bed is the worst. The more you do it the harder it is not to. It snowballs on me real fast.

Try turning on some music make some coffee and take a shower. That at least gets me out of bed for a minute.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

your body is trying to recover from (what could be in many of our cases) many years teaching it how to function on something other than poison.
Get yourself a break now & than, but sometimes you do have to force yourself to just get up even for a short term goal, as little as a shower & read the paper.

All the Best!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ohhh, I can realte. The time I spent in bed hungover is disgusting. Days and days.
Mind racing, fear and anxiety were overwhelming. Sometimes I'd be to afraid to answer the phone.
Just laying there swearing off booze only to start the cycle again as soon as I felt better. Then, back to the bed.

Thanks for your post and reminding me of those dark days. I made it out and so can you. I've been sober two years now, and was the worst drunk.
Now I live my life without fear. Waking up in the morning to look forward to a new chance at life.

You never have to feel this way again. Just don't take that first drink. Believe me, it only gets worse.
My best to you.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How many sober days do you have under your belt Wendy?

If you are newly sober then there's nothing wrong with hanging out in bed, if you let go of any guilt you can look at it as self care...just reframe it a little.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been there many times Wendy. I wasted a solid two years either in bed or on the couch drinking. My house was a mess and and I couldn't even bother to shower for days on end. It's hard to rationalize why we do things as alcoholics. Don't drink today!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Other than three relapses I have been sober for a year. That's what's frustrating. I think 8-10 hours of sleep is plenty. Thanks everyone for your comments. It helped me get out of bed and do a few things today - Very encouraging.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I slept ALL THE TIME for my first month. My body hadn't had proper sleep in years. I still get patches of tiredness that last for a few days. Be kind to yourself.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I admire the fact you can recognize that you replaced drinking and sleeping. No matter what there is a underlying reason why we do the things we do. This is just switching vehicles. Your doing it for a reason, perhaps to change your mood, avoid a problem. Just realize that what you are doing is serving you in some way. Ask yourself "What does sleeping give me?" and you can find the intent of this behavior and be aware enough to make the shift.

For me oversleeping was a way to...

A. Change my mood when I was depressed or down to escape it (the same mechanism that alcohol and drugs do).
B. Avoid a larger problem I had fears about

Hope this helps
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your right - Thank you!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wendy I am doing the same thing.....get home from work....go to bed....stay there until the next morning....repeat....not sure what is going on....
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sleeping is an escape, but I'm in no position to judge because I do it too, so you're not alone. My bed is not the most well appointed, but I love it nonetheless. Sweet beautiful bed, twisted bedsheets and all.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So glad to know I am not alone.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty View Post
So glad to know I am not alone.
Unless you're a serial killer, chances are, folks have been through the same stuff as you have.

Give us a shout, and I'm sure someone amongst us has been there and done that, and perhaps even has the t-shirt.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Might be worth getting checked out? nothing to do with drink but my sis had extreme tirdness for years, she was found to have coeliac disease so wasen't absorbing the nutrients from her food so was constantly exausted.
Hope you feel well soon
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're not alone. I was in bed all the time at the year mark. I was depressed. I learned about PAWS and just let myself sleep and read a lot on this site. Now I'm back in school and feeling a lot better closer to two years sober. Hang in there and go easy on yourself. And don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. You should start feeling better it just might feel like slow progress. These days I joke that I feel lousy but I feel a heck of a lot better than I did at a year:-) But really I do feel pretty great these days and I bet you will too if you stick with it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just to add....Kizzy that dancing ghost or whatever it is by your day count makes me smile every time I see a post from you

I'm over 6 months in and I still get very tired a lot! I try and just go with it ..do some self care. I think it is all part of the healing process.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I slept so much after I quit drinking. After a while..I realized I was tired no matter how much sleep I got. Went to doctor who ordered labs and sleep study. Found out I was anemic.
Honestly though..I just turned 48 this year and am finding I absolutely love to take afternoon naps on my days off anyways!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi PreciousKitty,

I find that a lot of the time i have trouble getting out of bed and find it very fustrating too. For me it all comes down to fear and a warm, comfortable, safe bed is by far the easiest option for continuing to live in my fantasy world.

But as you know isolating isn't good for the soul and is another way for your addiction to make you miserable. I have found that phoning people (however hard it is) and telling them what i'm doing can be enough motivation to get up and do anything that makes me feel better. I reckon a mild overdose of caffiene and a brisk walk is normally enough to make me feel more human and so more likely to spend more time out of bed in the future. Sometimes a cold shower can shock me into moving about as well.

ATB,

Sam

Last edited by bambi89; 02-14-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Pressed enter by mistake