A good day with JJ :)

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A good day with JJ :)

Hi everyone, I wanted to give you all an update on my son JJ. As you know, he was in jail for burglary (due to his heroin addiction) of our home on May 15. He disappeared until 8-27, then was in jail and awaiting the charge. He pled guilty and was sentenced to local custody. I was able to visit him since that time but our visits were always behind the glass wall and on the phones. I haven't been able to hug or touch him since I last saw him on May 13. He FINALLY got out on Feb 10 and his conditions included going to an inpatient rehab. The exception was that the jail let him out on Sunday but the rehab couldn't take him in until Monday. His substance abuse placement officer (an amazing angel!) pulled some strings and got the rehab to allow me to deliver JJ to them on Monday and said as long as I stayed with him from his release in jail to delivering him to rehab, they would accept him. JJ and I met up at 10:30 AM on Sunday. We had a great day together. He looked completely content with the next steps in his life, which include rehab and getting a job and then digging himself out of the hole he has been in. We really had a great day. I did NOT give him one cent of money but I did get him the necessary items for his stint in rehab (clothes, toiletries, underwear, etc.) My younger son and daughter came to the hotel to visit and we all went to watch a movie. It was a very NORMAL day which I cannot even remember the last time I have had with my oldest. I cannot say what is next, but for today, I saw that light in his eyes, sparkle and sincerity which haven't been there for a very long time. He will be in a blackout period for probably 30 days and he went back to the strict rehab that he was in before. He had hoped to go to a less strict one that allows them to look for jobs after 14 days, but there were no openings. I am letting this all go into the hands of God because I trust the process and I trust in His wisdom. It was a great day and I am grateful that I got the chance to be with my son briefly. It was a comfort to my heart and gives me a lot of peace in dealing with this next step. Hugs everyone
Love
TT
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Sounds like a wonderfully blessed day. My prayers are with you all!

Would you mind me asking?? Will this rehab be using Vivitrol and if so, how do you feel about it?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TT, your post made me tear up a little...so happy you got that day. What a time you have had lately with all this. Normal times with our addicts are so powerful--it feels like a healing balm to me whenever it happens--and I am happy you got some of that. Thanks for updating and sharing details with us. He seems like he's on the road to recovery this time. Peace.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So happy for you, TT.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its amazing how addiction makes us appreciate such things as a day doing normal family stuff with out kids. I'm so glad you got to experience that again.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Hi LMN, the rehab he is going to is a twelve step program that utilizes in depth counseling, social engagement (very strict rules while in the rehab and they all hold each other accountable), drug abuse education and local participation in AA/NA meetings once they get through blackout. They are all assigned work responsibilities and they meet weekly for individual therapy as well as daily house meetings with the other 40 residents. This program is regarded as one of the toughest programs and those that actually graduate are considered lower risk for relapse. JJ did graduate from this program last year, but he told me that when my Mom died 3 days after he got out, he lost it and ran back to the drug. All I know is this is his life and I will give him the dignity of choosing his path. This rehab will not accept anyone who has any drugs in their system, they must detox before coming to the program. I dont believe they provide any type of drugs to help the addictive cravings.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so glad that you and your son got to spend that special day together. Regardless of how the future unfolds, you will always have that time and memory.

JJ is a regular in my prayers, and I will continue to ask God to guide him to a better path...and then, dang it, keep him there. God's used to my insistence, He will snicker and sigh and then leave the rest between JJ and Him.

You made my heart smile today, as I know your own is smiling too.

Hugs from one mama to another. The Posse of Mama's rides again!!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ann, as always your words are perfect for me! Yep, God knows us Mama's will continually pull at His pant leg (figuratively) and He patiently endures our yanks .
The day surely was special and I pray that JJ finds his path and prospers. That guy is so beautiful even with the stupid eyebrow piercing (sigh...)
Love
TT
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this update. I pray your son is on a recovery path for life.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you JJ's mom. Rooting for JJ to stay on path of recovery.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another mama here, who can relate to cherishing normal days with my son. I'm happy for you!

Prayers, hugs, and best wishes to you, JJ, and your family.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How wonderful to have one of those rare, normal days. Hope you have many, many more!!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so happy you had a good day. Regardless of what happens- you had that day. I am finally allowing myself to enjoy the good days, and not buy pain in advance by worrying about what might happen.

JJ is in my prayers daily.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((TT)) - I am SOOO glad to hear your update!

You are allowing him to deal with the consequences of his using. My family doing that is what led me to recovery.

I don't know what the future holds for you and ((JJ)), but I do see you working YOUR recovery, and that's just got to be a good thing

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy