Notices

Eating the new fun in sobriety

Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eating the new fun in sobriety

Hi All

Thought I would start this thread about the joys of eating in sobriety. When I was drinking I did not eat. I felt so sick all the time.

Now it is fun trading all those terrible calories I was consuming in the booze for real food!

My daughter and I made meatball subs with provolone, salad and of course some cookies and milk Yum! I have gained a few pounds but I don't care .... feeling
soooo much better. Physically and Mentally.

Love to all:0
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh yes. I too have rediscovered my love for food. Maybe a little too much! now I'm addicted to cookies!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I have had a wicked sweet tooth lately!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lovely i'm glad not to have the sugar then salt cravings that had me eating chocolate and crisps (chips) as my body deperately tried to tell me what it was lacking, adding to my already expanding waistline.
Now my diet is balanced and craving free, feels good doesen't it?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

I totally get what you are saying!

I did the same! Thank goodness that is over! I can't believe we missed out on so much yummy and NUTRITIOUS food

Thanks for the post and smile!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I'm the same with the sweet tooth thing. When I was drinking, I ate a lot, but it was mostly salty stuff. I used to crave salt all the time. Now I find that I crave sugar and have started having desserts with my meals again. Which is not good for me but at least it's enjoyable and gives me something in common with my family and friends again!

And I'm just so happy that instead of spending all my money on booze and cheap, salty processed foods (which, since I'm in the UK, were probably made of horse meat anyway ) I can now spend it on fresh ingredients such as fresh cuts of steak (which are definitely from a cow), broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, fresh milk for my endless cups of tea etc.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
I'm the same with the sweet tooth thing. When I was drinking, I ate a lot, but it was mostly salty stuff. I used to crave salt all the time. Now I find that I crave sugar and have started having desserts with my meals again. Which is not good for me but at least it's enjoyable and gives me something in common with my family and friends again!

And I'm just so happy that instead of spending all my money on booze and cheap, salty processed foods (which, since I'm in the UK, were probably made of horse meat anyway ) I can now spend it on fresh ingredients such as fresh cuts of steak (which are definitely from a cow), broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, fresh milk for my endless cups of tea etc.
urgh... how mad is the horse thing?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
urgh... how mad is the horse thing?
I know, right? I'm trying not to think about all the processed "beef" products I've eaten over years...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me too.. like the OP and yourself i've really enjoyed cooking from scratch, and we know exactly what we are consuming haha.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'm not filled with joy lol That's the biggest disappointment about sobriety for me. The replacing of one addiction with another. Now I have this huge sweet tooth and it doesn't seem to be balancing out at all. I thought I would lose weight with quitting and instead I'm gaining. Now I feel like I have even more to work on, and food is kind of the only "reward" right now, so taking that away too is depressing.

I know in my head what I need to do, and I'm sure exercise would help a lot. I just need to find ways to work it into my routine so I can enjoy treats once in awhile. I have to learn to stop "eating my feelings" because I am really under a lot of stress and it's not healthy.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes a balance in all things unfortunately right? But trying to walk more , (which helps my thinking too) lift some small weights instead of a bottle Do crave sweets but would rather have some chocolate and honey in my tea (loads of it) instead of that booze. I was drinking straight vodka at the end BLECH!! would much rather eat cake and drink a Cokeand throw in some fruits and veggies now and then.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I enjoy food too. I always drank while I cooked. My cooking is almost perfect now. So more drunk seasoning and measuring.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I must be in the minority. I hear over and over how people barely ate when they were drunk, that they lost so much weight, etc. But for me, I ate like a pig when I drank. Booze gave me the munchies like you wouldn't believe! If I was on a bender, I wasn't far from a greasy spoon, fast food joint or my fridge. I saw the guys in my treatment center all skin and bones, and there I was buying new clothes to fit my ever expanding waist line!

So of course I thought that stopping drinking would help me, as now I am not taking in those calories. WRONG. Still gaining weight. Sweets now take over. And boy do they take over! I used sugar in many ways like alcohol in the last while - being secretive, binging, self-medicating. It's been about 7 weeks without sugar (cut it out completely - no honey, syrup, pop, juice, ketchup, sweeteners, etc) and finally (!) I have lost weight - about 20 lbs. And it's been nice to not have another "reach" for when I feel off or I am avoiding something.

Enjoy that food, y'all.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
This is exactly me!