Notices

New here

Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hello,

Not sure how to go about this. I'm a 22 yr old college student, and im a little worried about my drinking. I do well in school, do not have financial problems, maintain good friendships, am receiving my bachelors of science in engineering in a few months, and besides the occasional drunk problematic night, my drinking does not cause me many problems in my life.

The problem is, is that I drink about 1.75L of whiskey a week, a majority of which is alone at my house, and I am unable to go a day without it. I do use it as an escape from pain, and have a lot of repressed emotions in addition to the emotions i feel about losing my mom to cancer 5 months ago, but i cannot blame this on my drinking, as i havent gone a day without it in about 3 years.

I'm not sure what to do, I hear the only way is abstinence... but at 22 years old, I cannot see myself abstaining from alcohol for the rest of my life. I'll try to go a day without it, but it seems that telling myself that im not going to drink that day, makes me obsess over that drink even more, causing me to get angry, irritated and bothered.

I'm clearly an alcoholic, but very functional too. Im mostly scared that im doing detrimental damage to my liver and body at this age and i want to cut back, but i dont know how.

Does anyone know anyone in a similar situation, or has experienced a similar situation?

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Seany View Post
I'll try to go a day without it, but it seems that telling myself that im not going to drink that day, makes me obsess over that drink even more, causing me to get angry, irritated and bothered.
Welcome to my world.

That obsession is my Alcoholic Voice. He craves alcohol, even when I want to stop. He pesters the daylights out of me until I give in. At least he used to. I learned how to cope with him recently, and disarm him of the power he had over me.

Read around on the forums here. Lots of great information. Probably some you can use. Good Luck!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Seany,

Your drinking pattern is pretty much a classic alcoholic drinking pattern. It is almost identical to my own, although I started later in life and drank that way for a little longer than you did.

Really, the only way to relieve a problem like yours is to quit drinking altogether. I have known many, many alcoholics in my life. My first husband got sober when he was younger than you are (20), and he has been sober for the past 33 years. No drinking. He has had a GREAT life, and has done all kinds of terrific things that he never could have hoped to do if he had kept drinking. I don't know anyone who drank the way you do who has been able to successfully moderate their drinking over the long term. I tried to do it for four and a half years before I gave up and guess what. I don't miss it at all.

My one suggestion is that you see a doctor before you just quit drinking. When you drink every day you are likely to go through withdrawal symptoms that can be physically very dangerous.

I hope you decide to deal with this head-on while you are young enough to still enjoy your twenties.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR seany.

I was like that at 22. Unlike you, I didn't have the good sense to question my drinking habits. I was once able to have some control over the amounts I drank, but eventually I didn't. In the end, decades of trying to manage it led me to being completely dependent on it. I was drinking all day - and I was badly damaged. I had to stop, or lose my life. You never have to reach that point.

I'm sorry that you lost your mother to cancer, seany - and I understand how hard it is to face the emotions without a buffer. You say there are other repressed feelings that need to be dealt with, too. It's good that you realize that. I hope you will work on these things. I'm sure others will have some suggestions for you. We're glad you are here.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seany View Post
I'm clearly an alcoholic, but very functional too.
When I was actively drinking, I thought I was functional. I now realize that I was a bloated, self destructive and barely functional drunk.

If you are as you say, quite functional, the problem with alcohol addiction is that it is progressive and the problems get worse, never better.

You may be functional today, but will you be able to say the same three years from now?

Welcome and it's good that you are looking to deal with this.