Notices

Anyone ever have an intervention??

Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone ever have an intervention??

I'm back!!!!!

I have had a drinking problem for 11 yrs and no one has really said anything to me about it. My husband would make comments here and there and so would my kids. I have hid this problem from my parents this whole time. Even though I am 34 I have felt this need to still please them. They are very strict Baptists if that tells you anything. Anyway, my husband had had enough of my drinking and told my parents about my problem. I was unaware of this and only knew that my parents wanted to meet with me and my husband to "talk about our relationship and to give us advice". I was really surprised at how okay my husband was with meeting with them and talk about our marriage. Anyway, at the meeting I was caught off guard with my parents and husband telling me I need help. I was so embarrassed, ashamed, mad, relieved, and scared. I will say that it was enough to shake me and I have not had a drink for 7 days. I have quit drinking a few different times, but this time it is different now that I was "outed". I just hope my marriage can be saved and its not too late.

Has anyone else had some sort of "intervention" before?

Day 7 ~ and never drinking again no matter what.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like your marriage was not the problem !
Good luck I hope your getting the support at home that makes it so much easier.
Love John.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your parents may have already had an idea of your drinking problem and just never said anything until now.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on the week!

I interventioned myself many times! Hopefully this time sticks! 105 days going strong!
Good luck to you!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi jwolf. I'm glad you had a positive experience. I've often wondered how I'd react if anyone confronted me about my drinking. I doubt I would have been as receptive as you. I'm glad you were willing to listen. It can be a brand new beginning for you.

We're glad to have you back. Keep talking to us.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You'll find that your parents most likely know about your drinking. As much as we thought we were hiding stuff really well we were actually really bad at it. I wish you the best of luck.

Natom.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's awesome that you stopped drinking.

I heard a speaker at an AA meeting and he said, "I knew I was an alcoholic because everyone told me I was."

I was raised as a Baptist too. There was no drinking at all. Whatever compromised position I felt from being raised in a dogmatic religion I've thankfully worked through in therapy. It's not my parents' fault that I'm an alcoholic.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that the intervention worked and that your husband and parents are offering their support to you. It sounds like you're ready to make a change in your life.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you have a lot of people who love you, and you're always welcome here anytime you need support
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yes. My children confronted me last weekend. Fortunately I was sober 5 days at the time and had previously concluded I needed to quit. If they had caught me drunk I might not have been as receptive.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You have a great attitude-it will help you in this journey to sobriety. I don't think I would have taken an intervention very well either, but I know it would have scared me enough to make me wise up. Glad I found SR before it happened.

I'm glad you'll have support from those who love you. It will help a lot