Notices

A friend's relapse helped me

Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A friend's relapse helped me

So I have had thought of drinking in the past few days, but haven't thank God.

A friend in my sponsorship circle that had 3.5 years drank. Is drinking and says she is not ready to stop. She even asked my advice about getting a white chip (since I have a stack of them) and said it will be very humbling and is not looking forward to it. She said since she has drank, she may as well keep doing it. She is very matter or fact and it obviously hasn't taken over her body YET. It has her mind thinking she can just stop when she gets ready to later, when she feels like it.

She has cirrhosis and is trying to get on a list for a liver transplant as well as Hep C. But she is drinking "just for a little while". She had many excused, told me a list of things that are going wrong in her life. She moved to a different town and she doesn't like the meeting times. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Those are BS excuses, I know because I have bullsh**** before. I am here for her when she is ready to stop drinking. Other than that, I am not. I do not want to hear about her drinking beer and how it is not bad. This has just opened my eyes to the fact that if I drink, I am believing the lie. It makes sense to me now. It is very unfortunate that it is because she drank. But it shows me how cunning alcohol is and how it is playing with fire.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's scary when someone who has some time, goes out and drinks but it truly sounds like you have worked this out in your mind.

Until she's ready to sober up again, I think I would limit contact.

Sobriety, you're doing it right!

ETA: Since you are involved in AA you may want to pick up a few more meetings for the next few weeks. Talk to you sponsor, too.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

[I][She has cirrhosis and is trying to get on a list for a liver transplant as well as Hep C. But she is drinking "just for a little while"./I]

I am sorry about your friend but there is nothing you can do. Denial is a powerful thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do know that there are very strict rules for transplant lists. They will take her off of the list for a liver if she continues to drink...if a liver were to become available and she went in for pre-transplant testing, I believe she would be "disqualified" (it is the only word i can think of).

mfranch? just posted yesterday about losing a friend who died of liver failure, it is long and painful way to die. Your friend is throwing away her chances of living a longer life.

there is nothing you can do, but please stay sober for yourself.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of the things that keeps me continuing to do the right thing is that I DON'T WANT TO DIE!!! It's not worth it, and I have my kids, a great guy in my life, good job, still in school working towards my dream job, why screw it all up. Alcohol is so nasty.

Sorry about your friend Elisabeth, but I'm glad it's helping you to see that doing what you're doing is the best thing for you.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This has just opened my eyes to the fact that if I drink, I am believing the lie.
So true! Glad you are stronger in your sobriety and sorry about your friend. I hope she sobers up soon.