Notices

I may sound shallow but,

Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I may sound shallow but,

Has anyone who has stopped drinking noticed a difference in their hair? On the 14 th I will have 4 months of sobriety. My hair is growing out faster and it is coming out shiny. I have some strands of silver mixed in with golden brown. Thats what caught my eye in the mirror. Shiny silvers and golds. I just noticed. Is this a sign of returning vitality? Has anyone else noticed a change in your new hair growth?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think that's shallow at all, you're noticing how much healthier you are. I felt so much better all around, but what I noticed most was when I quit smoking too, my skin looks so much better.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh god, my hair was awful when I was drinking! It was really long but it was really greasy all the time and it didn't matter how much I washed it. In the end I cut it all off and bleached the hell out of it just to dry it out but my hairdresser still noticed it had this kind of icky greasy feel to it. I have let the colour grow out and am growing it now and it's one of the many pleasures of sobriety that I can touch my hair and not go 'urgh'. I can't say I've noticed a change in the colour because this is the first time I've had my natural colour since I was 12. That's about the time I started drinking so I'm using it as a kind of symbol of my sobriety.

I don't think it's shallow. My hair being gross was one of the things which really made me realise how much I was damaging myself. It came after a load of other health problems. With a lot of slap and hair dye I could pass but there was no way to hide how sick I was making myself forever.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not shallow at all! My hair is less knotty (!), shinier, easier to style now. It's these shallow improvements that keep me going sometimes. I'm now checking out my newly closing pores on my face in awe each morning. My skin is luminous. Oh and my liver must be happier, I just can't see it!

S x
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nope still bald, but my liver is looking a lot better.

No booze 27 days
Old 02-09-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My hair is definitely healthier and has a nice shine to it I've noticed a few greys sneaking through, I joke that it's early sobriety.....maybe I'm just in denial that I'm getting older

Xx
Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I have a buzz cut that I do myself down to almost nothing. When it gets to grey I cut it. Keeps me rather youthful looking. So if my hair. Hanged much I don't I would even notice.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

when i stopped drinking i was LOSING my hair ( i am a female)...it was coming out by the handfull in the shower.

no it is NOT shallow, a full thick mop of blonde hair that i cut into layers makes me feel better too! (sober 21 months)
Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, the hair thing is wild, eh?

I'm getting ready to cut my hair quite short in order to get all the crazy out of it. I've been referring to it as "culling the beast".

Guarantee you I'll be putting some crazy cool colors in it too. I call that "me me me me".

I'm reclaiming my youth!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep! And not shallow at all...if anything it's one of the great side effects of getting rid of alcohol from your life

There's plenty more of those simple blessings. Keep shining
Old 02-09-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My hair was lank and dull too, had a really nice bob cut and I love it! Noticed a couple of silvers too funnily enough, but I'm having a colour put in next week
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My hair is growing back. It had started falling out towards the end of my drinking.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mine was coming out by the handfuls in the shower. It was dull , thin and greasy. Drunk hair. Part of my denial was ,"It isn't my drinking I'm just getting older" Whatever.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mine was falling out in clumps too, and there was so much of it in my hairbrush. I think we were malnourished. I was a pale, puffy, blob with lifeless eyes. It's so nice to rejoin the human race.

Escapist you could never be shallow.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes...my skin and hair greatly improved. I looked 10 years younger all the way around within a few months of quitting. It was nice to have how good I was feeling on the inside reflected on my outside.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I noticed this too! One more perk
Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the grays were probably there, I just didn't notice b/c I was too drunk.
Nothing dye can't fix!