Notices

Staying sober on vacation

Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying sober on vacation

Ok I'm on day 45 sober, I've had more good than bad days(my really bad day being super bowl Sunday) I almost caved in that day.

Anyway, on to my point.....I'm in a good place right now and the only future threat to my sobriety is my upcoming vacation to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. I go at least once a year, but this will be the 1st going sober and trying to stay that way. To me, Cabo SCREAMS......drink, eat, swim, fish and drink some more.

I know people are probably going to say "why go, with so much temptation"
Well in my case, my family really enjoys the annual trip and the last thing I'm going to do is cancel a trip because I'm afraid I might cave in.

So, I'm going to try this.......I won't stay out late, probably dinner, then back to resort, that should be easy for me. The activity I'm worried about the most is just swimming in the hotel pool.....they all have swim up bars with happy hours at least twice a day........this is going to be my toughest test.

Any suggestions are much appreciated
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here's where I'd look for a place to go:

ALCOHOLICOS ANONIMOS DISTRITO # 9 CABO SAN LUCAS B.C.S.: Directorio

(Google search result for "grupos aa cabo san lucas")
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do things you never did when you drank! How about snorkeling? Resorts have tons of things you can do to stay active. Don't sit around.

Enjoy and have fun!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do stuff you haven't done before. Remember how good it feels to wake up and not be hungover. Read a book about recovery. Reward yourself with fancy non-alcoholic drinks. Go to an AA meeting for support. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you swim in the ocean? If so, why even bother with the pool? I always wonder why people would choose to swim in a pool rather than the sea. The sea really helped calm me during my early recovery days. Just bobbing in the ocean and feeling the power of nature while sober is uber-awesome.

Also, you are right about going in early, that is a good idea. After dinner just pack it up. Watch TV or whatever. However, make up for it by being a morning person - be the first one up and out, take a walk by yourself and reflect!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with bigsombrero - go to the ocean. Also, instead of doing the typical 'relaxing' on vacation - try exercising. Endorphins are a better high than alcohol.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great suggestions. Unfortunately not many swimming beaches in the cabo area especially where I'm staying(pacific ocean side) really dangerous. But great idea, I'll make sure and go to nearest swimmable beach.

I think my version of AA will be reading this site as soon as I wake daily.....it'll give me focus to start the day strong
Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's worth renting a car so you can get to those beaches. The snorkeling is unbelievable. I think there was only 1 day I didn't swim in the ocean while I was there last year.

Stay away from pools with swim up bars. Not only do they serve up drinks, but they serve up loud drunk people who want company...
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EFC

My first attempt at sobriety crashed on what would've been Day 86 when I was on vacation in the UK. I simply gave in and want to go back in time and give myself a smack in the head for doing so. But I can't, so I am applying to lessons to ensure I stay sober now. I easily could have enjoyed the vacation without drinking, and I believe you will be able to do the same.