Notices

Hi

Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me. Have been sober for 8 .5 years but recently got prescribed codeine for a shoulder injury. I know I am now using them. Am feeling scared to go cold turkey. Probably been using more than the doctor prescribed for over a month. Can anyone help me????
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dont know much about Rx drugs but they scare the crap out of me. Maybe try having an open honest conversation with your MD on how to get some help?
Best of luck to you.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying, I am worried about going to the doctor as I work in the medical profession myself. I managed to stay sober since 2004 and know the only way was to try and find fellowship!!! Am hoping to find similar stories and advice on here, do u think I'm I. The right place?? I'm from the uk xx
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes you are most definitely in the right place! At the top of your screen there is a tab that says "forums" within that there is a forum for drug addiciton. Many of our stories seem to be similar, regardless of our addictions.
I am also in the health care field and this is the only place I feel comfortable dealing with my issues.
Keep reading and keep posting. It truly does help
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi serenitybud

I've never withdrawn from opiates, but I really think the best thing to do is find a Dr who know about addiction issues - together you can discuss a taper designed for your needs.

I appreciate you work in the field yourself but sometimes I think we need that outside perspective, and sometimes getting help trumps other considerations too.

of course in the end it's up to you

we also have a substance abuse forum here too you may be interested in:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thankyou both very much. I think first of all I had been trying to actually admit I had got myself into trouble with these tablets and even finding this site to express that is a huge help. I never realised I would also have a problem with drugs as my primary addiction was alcohol. Thankyou again for your timexxx
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi

While codeine can be a good drug for pain, it can be addictive.

I know I am better away from the drugs that give a buzz and better with ibuprofen etc. No high, no warm feeling.

There is a group in the UK called 'codeine no more' who can offer taper plans. Thats where you take less and less codeine and avoid withdrawal.

The other option is just stopping, or going cold turkey.

I went cold turkey from a benzo which were prescribed and were highly addictive.
I took a week off work, slept a lot, had hot baths, took paracetamol for the aches and pains.
After a week I was over the worse.
You might be able to do something like that over the weekend if you cant be off work.

Some people like to do it bit by bit, but I just wanted to get it over and done with.

Once I was done, I threw my tablets away, cancelled my repeat prescription, said to my doctor I never ever wanted to take them again and he wrote it in my notes. I have no way of getting my hands on the tablets now.

Depending on how you feel, perhaps confiding in your doctor and he could offer you a plan.

I think often it depends how long you have been taking them and what dose you take will decide how bad/good the withdrawal will be.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Sasha,

I started them occasionally last summer and took them really as prescribed. However as the months have gone on I have been taking them more and more. Today I took my last one and I know I will wake aching. This is my usual cue to take more and justifying it!!! It is 11 at night in uk and tomorrow I pray the compulsion will be lifted. It's such a help having support from others in the same boat. Although I am nearly 9 as a alcoholic in recovery I feel now a fraud as I have relapsed on these pills. I am almost ashamed to tell my recovery friends this as I don't want to be a failure!!! There my feelings are out and I already feel better!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in the UK too.

Did you know codeine could be like this?
If not then I don't think you have any reason to feel ashamed.
And if you did, then all that would mean is you have a bit more work to do on yourself.

If you look at the biology of it all, you will have receptors in your brain that are screaming out for codeine. Just like for nicotine when we stop smoking, alcohol when we stop drinking.

The longer we starve these receptors in our brain, the less they scream out for codeine/nicotine/drink. Eventually they die and we physically feel better, out cravings stop.

I don't think you should be in pain though from the injury.
A pharmacist will be able to sell you something not addictive and advise you. Maybe a gel to rub in or ibuprofen.
If it does not respond go back to your doctor and ask for stronger non addictive drugs, maybe a referral to a pain clinic at the hospital or a visit to the physiotherapist may also help.

Don't suffer - there are lots and lots of safe medications and therapy available.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As I previously never had a problem with drugs when my doctor prescribed this pain relief I thought I would be ok. Alcohol always was my main addiction. I tore a tendon and was in agony and never thought about picking up a drink but was grateful to be given anything that would take the pain away, now however I know my pain lessened but the pills just increased. I hope now I can go tomorrow without the compulsion. Also I'm not sure how to edit my profile as it has me as a male and I am female. I'm using an I phone appt and can't seem to find the edit bit!!! Thanks for your advice, maybe if you are around on here tomorrow I could update on how it's going?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can get to 'User CP' in the extreme left hand corner of the big blue toolbar that runs across the top of the page...click 'edit your details' on the drop down menu...

scrolling down you'll find the gender settings

D
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep come back tomorrow and let me know how you are.
Good nights sleep will do you good.

My withdrawals felt a bit like a flu bug - tired, ached, temperature one minute, then shivery.

Maybe paracetamol and ibuprofen and bit to eat like soup and bread would be good. Long baths are good for restless legs and aches and pains. If your not working and you can, try and take it easy and rest. You could be fine by monday!

Take care.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you doing?
How has today gone and have you experienced any withdrawals?

Thinking of you and hoping you are okay.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi again , sorry for delay , now on day 4 without any codeine. First couple of days I ached so bad but today is the first time I have felt back to my normal self. Feels so good to see things clearer again. Thanks Sasha for your advice as just pretending I had flu really helped my mindset, it did not allow me to wallow in addiction,
Many thanks and hope your all well
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nearly a month now, so incredibly grateful! Thanks to those that gave me advice when I first joined
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thats brilliant news, I am really happy for you.
I wondered how you had got on.

And to do a month is giving it some, especially as we can easily buy them over the counter in chemists.

At least you now know that if you need any further pain killers, codeine, tramadol etc might cause issues for you and you would do better to go down the ibuprofen route.

Take good care of yourself xxxx
Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am just very grateful for your advice when I started. All the things you said about the flu, excercise, and that it will all pass really helped me. Each day got better. Luckily I had a few days holiday and I did what you said and just got through it. Thanks so much, I really thought this was going to start taking over my life as the first problem I just immediately needed the pills. Anyway for today I feel good. Hope you too are wellxx
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the positive update!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Today I am grateful for my family and the ability to be there for them with a clear mind. I recognise my triggers with alcohol and pills. Anything that stirred fear inside me I want to block out. Today I have faced a few fears and have done all I can at the moment to help my son. I have not tried to block it out. Things will be ok I know as long as I am brave. Just so glad I can be a good mumx
Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One month today clean!!!!!