Notices

Alcohol erased me

Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol erased me

That is how I feel. The real me has been erased. The hobbies I love to do, I no longer do. When I take a serious inventory of my life, it is pretty sad. I have become someone I hate and someone that others often dislike for things I do while drinking.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to read you're struggling but it's never too late to get the real you back Ethos.

I thought I was erased too - the real me lost forver - but I was still there.
It's not impossible to get the authentic us back, ever.

It always starts with putting down the drink tho.

What's your plan for getting back in recovery - do you have any support besides SR?

D
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can change that if you really want.
It takes a bit of work and effort but it is worth it.

Maybe make a list of all the things you miss doing and all the things you want to do?

I remembered how I loved writing music - as is treble clefs, bars, notes last week. I used to be really talented at it. How did I forget I could do that? That made me feel sad too.

I have things I want to sign up for.

A mosaic class. Learning spanish. I would love to go to choreographed dance classes. I'm looking at hypoxi training too.

I understand your sadness.
But now can be the start of new things!

I also understand the feelings about how others view you.

But hand on heart, from my own experience, people are more likely to forgive when they see a vibrant, full of life, exciting person who exudes happiness replacing a self pitying drunken mess.

Friends, family don't want to ditch you. They want to see you get better.

Take it one day at a time.
Don't look too far ahead.
Get busy.
Get some strong support. You have mine already.

I really do wish you the best.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I felt much the same way. After nearly 30 years of drinking, my only hobby became getting drunk and I detested myself for it. When I stopped for good, the real me came back in spades. I now find my life filled with all of the activities that I never had time for whilst a full-time drinker. Give yourself a chance and I think you'll find the same thing.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

I am now doing things I thought were long past me thanks to sobriety. It is unbelievable. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt a bit like that too Ethos. It didn't take long after I quit drinking for the old me to come back though, and I'm talking about the me before I started drinking at 12. Don't get me wrong, I did plenty of stuff in my drinking years but a lot of it was tainted and it didn't really have the joy I felt when I wasn't just doing stuff until I could drink again.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It doesn't have to stay that way. As long as were still above ground we have a chance. I am starting to like myself again. The longer I stay sober the more I learn about the positive side of me. You will too.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know what you mean.

But once I quite drinking for awhile the old "me" begin to reappear. Even better, the old "me" started to evolve into a new and improved "me."
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ethos, I related to what your title said and the content of your post. I missed the old me and my severe alcoholism totally took all that away. I got sober and got me back.

I see you've been posting for a while now, how are things going for you otherwise?

Glad you shared.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is very tough to learn what we have buried for so many years, sober! It will be a work in progress, so I am told! I learn something new/ or relearn something every new day that I am sober. Its scary & exciting all at the same time!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Great thread, great responses.

This touches me because I too felt that I lost my true self underneath the booze and all the damage it causes. It's taken away all the things I used to love doing. I am now able to jump back into those things. Slowly, but still able to do it and not worry about trying to please anyone or trying to impress. I just do it for me, to reclaim what alcohol stole from me, to reclaim myself and who I was meant to be.

You can do this too - you haven't been erased...you've just been lost in alcohol. As I was.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words. It definately feels good to read others experiences. Sometimes I feel so alone and like my drinking is just "unique" to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry to read you're struggling but it's never too late to get the real you back Ethos.

I thought I was erased too - the real me lost forver - but I was still there.
It's not impossible to get the authentic us back, ever.

It always starts with putting down the drink tho.

What's your plan for getting back in recovery - do you have any support besides SR?

D
dont give up
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

dont give up ,dont loose faith
Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Ethos. You are never alone - you have us. We completely get how you're feeling, we've all been there.

You can begin to heal and find yourself again. You are in there! I was numb and foggy for so long, I had to get to know myself again. I'm glad you've joined and are reaching out for a new life.