Notices

whatever

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

whatever

Tired of this **** but keep doing it over and over. Ruining relationships with family/friends. Just want to be normal. Guess I'm just looking for any support at this point. Posting this means something i guess.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome tst - you'll find a lot of support here
what have you tried in the past?

D
Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Went through outpatient treatment last summer and drank through most of it.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Forgive me, but you sound a little ambivalent--do you wish to quit now, or just thinking about quitting? It is your choice, after all, and perhaps I misread your post, is still quite early here. SR is a good place for support, glad that you found your way here. All the best---rick
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've no clue... all I know is I've recognized I a problem... and it is effecting my life beyond anything before.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You found here, registered, posted now start planning.
So many tricks and truths here it'll keep you going.
Think of all the advantages and money .
John.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi tst, you'll find lots of support here, but give everyone something to work with. How about introducing yourself and telling us your story? The more you put in, the more you'll get out. Welcome.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ok

Ok. I steal from my family, friends, anyone I know. As long as I can buy some booze. I've not had a job in over a year, mainly because i have 2 dwi's and a criminal recrord, now, because I stole to pay for more booze. My life story short to fit.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome test. Despite my dire initial misgivings sobriety has set me free
Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome, tst989. If you're interested in stopping drinking you're in a good place to find information helpful for you to make the changes you want to make. Sounds like you've worked pretty hard at drinking. The same level of effort at NOT drinking could pay off big time.

Best of Luck!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hard to imagine change, isn't it?

I suggest you drag your butt over to an AA meeting. There are plenty of people there with stories EXACTLY like yours who now have new lives with good stuff in it--family, friends, self-respect, the respect of others.

They can show you EXACTLY how they did it.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi tst, I have done some pretty crappy things to people I love and people I dont even know because of drinking. I am no expert on recovery and don't have a lot of experience on the matter. The ONE THING I do know is this.
When you stop drinking, you stop lying and you can set yourself free.
I wish you the best of luck. Stay strong and explore the website. There is so much to learn about.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Collectively (and in many cases, individually) we've all done what you've done, and we've all felt what you're going through now, at least for me that's true. It's never too late, and you're never too far down the scale to get sober and live a life that is beyond your imagination.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If there's one thing I can get across it's to echo these folks - it's never too late to turn things around and become the person you want to be again.

Most of us have done some pretty crappy stuff when drinking or using...we can either wear that like a ball and chain and drink some more...or we can decide no more, stop drinking and start to get ourselves back together.

I'd go for the second option tst

D
Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

1st Welcome! I find great peace in this site, Ive actually devoted time that I would normally use messing around on FB for reading/posting on this site!
I see you are also from MN, not sure if you are at the point of seeking out an AA meeting, but we have MANY in MN.
This is a good resource. Greater Minneapolis Intergroup

~Peace
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober birthday 2/7/13

You only appear to have 2 choices. Keep existing this way until you don't (i.e. poison to death or crash), or get help. I was living in the first group for the last 20+ years. I 'recognized' I had a problem, I just didn't care to do anything about it.

Did you chose to go the outpatient ctr?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

please have faith you can do it.beleive in yourself
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tst989 View Post
Went through outpatient treatment last summer and drank through most of it.
Im in outpatient right now, I really like it, I did not think I would - but I am learning more as I go! I honestly think I would have drank through it if given the oppertunity, but I was put in inpatient for 7 days prior & subject to breathalizer tests, but I guess thats what I needed this time.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So many times my thinking returns to the title of your thread. "Whatever." Sometimes it seems so hopeless, futile to even attempt anything different, because change seems impossible, or at least more painful that it's worth. Especially when invested in active addiction. Do yourself a huge favor and take a break from using. Allow your head time to clear itself and see if you might see things in a new light when not under the influence. Because the influence is almightily powerful and strong, it lets no other thinking in beyond using. Hard to see beyond that when mired down in it.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi tst. I'm so glad you're here. Not feeling alone anymore was a huge help for me.

I did shameful things when I was drinking also. Getting drunk turned me into someone I didn't even recognize. I had dwi's, too. I lost the respect of everyone - no one understood why I didn't just stop. That's why I love SR. We can compare notes and share what worked for us - no one judges, the way most of our friends and families do.

You can have a new life and leave the old misery behind. Stay with us.