Notices

Putting Down an Old Friend

Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Putting Down an Old Friend

For those of you who don't know, my sister suffered a very severe dog bite from my dog. After talking to friends and family the decision has been made to put him down. I spoke to vets today and they told me what I had feared - no shelter in the area will take him.

Anyway we are taking him to the vet on Saturday. Needless to say I am not very excited about this.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Maybe there is a rescue program that will take him. You have all day tomorrow to research it a little. I hate it that they may be the only solution for your situation. What kind of dog is he?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. Freefall's heart is in the right place suggesting a rescue, but unfortunately, a rescue tries to rehome animals who have a track record of being adoptable. Sadly, a dog that has recently bit a person is probably not a good candidate and a rescue does not want to risk that on another person or animal.
It might not hurt to ask a rescue person or place to suggest a trainer who might be able to help you.
Good luck, again, really sorry.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry ddrayer.
Prayers that you'll find the clarity and strength to make the right decisions for not only yourself but your dog.

D
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

These people might be a good resource for you.

Last Chance Ranch Sanctuary | A forever home for special needs animals to live out their lives happy and healthy!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Even if a shelter were to take the dog in, 90% of dogs who end up in shelters are put down anyway. It's a sad statistic, but most dogs dropped off at shelters are almost guaranteed a death sentence.

Very sad to hear about the situation. I remember reading your earlier thread and it was very sad to hear about your sister. I haven't seen the updates, but I assume she is somewhat better at this point? And I definitely can see the rationale behind the decision of removing the dog from the family, as it could be mentally trying for your sister, etc. otherwise.

My only question though: was the dog attacking maliciously, or was it just an accident while playing. I am a major dog lover and sometimes while playing, I can get hurt a little bit (although nothing anywhere as severe as your sister was). But if your dog is basically good natured and it was all in play, it just seems such a tragedy to end his/her life. There's also Craigslist to try to find a home, or post signs at a local dog park, etc. You should be completely honest about why the dog must be given up as it caused an injury, etc. - and recommend no rough play anymore with this dog, etc. It's a long shot as people always want a puppy, etc., but maybe have a friend or acquaintance even take the dog to a local dog park before Saturday and talk to a few people and see if anyone may be able to take him or know someone that would. Anyway, just my two-cents. So many dogs get put down daily so it's not like saving your beloved family friend will really change anything in the big picture, but it's always a very sad predicament and I'll be wishing you all the strength and courage.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so sorry DDrayer. I k ow you have been a Rick for your sister, and trying to deal with so many things. I wish I had words to make you feel better. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

My heart goes out to you, truly, I am a massive dog lover and would be totally bereft. But, you have to think about the trauma to your poor sister. A family pet can never, ever do this. Maybe there is a mental problem with your dog and he would turn again and attack either you or someone else. Ultimately we are totally responsible for our dogs and their behavior and for me this would be utterly untenable. Take care
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ah, ddrayer. I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Love from Lenina
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I understand what you must be going thru.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ddrayer I am so sorry. I am a big dog lover and in a rescue group so I totally understand how hard this must be for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. You will get through it and the pain will get better.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Add me to the list of people who feel terribly for you. I know the injury was
pretty horrific to your sister.

I have never been in a place where you're at & I'm so so sorry this has happened
I'm sure you looked everywhere for a different kind of 'fix'...
(((((thinking of you, sister, and the pup))))
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sending good thoughts to you, your sister and your dog.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm a dog lover too,and understand how difficult that decision is. Had 2 put down my best friend ever after 14 wonderful years,back in May 11. Although it was health related,it didn't make it any easier or the pain any less. I'm hoping your sister is doing much better though. Thoughts and prayers 4 all.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this. Is your wife recovering from her bite?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of you.......
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all. There really isn't any option at this point. I knew he was aggressive when I adopted him (part of the reason because they were going to put him down). Anyway it will be hard but after thinking about it I really think it is the right, though painful, decision.

My sister is recovering, but it will be a long slow journey. She is of course always in my thoughts but after 3 weeks of taking care of her, I'm trying to take care of myself emotionally this week
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ddrayer View Post
She is of course always in my thoughts but after 3 weeks of taking care of her, I'm trying to take care of myself emotionally this week
I'm so sorry to hear about your pet, drayer, but it sounds like you did a noble thing in giving this dog a second chance at life when you adopted him. Add me to the many pet lovers who send their good wishes to you this weekend.

Your quote above about taking care of yourself is spot-on. There's a reason the flight attendant always says to put your own oxygen mask on first. We're no good to our loved ones if we're not taking care of ourselves.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for you having to put your beloved dog "to sleep". The only solace I ever had with that was to go to the animal shelter and give another dog a home. There are so many being given up today, by elderly people who cannot care for a beloved pet, and the Xmas puppies coming in. I volunteer at the SPCA and it is heartbreaking, every day. The only way I can face it is by giving a dog a walk they wouldn't have had otherwise, and 'fostering" when I can.

Think about it that your dog has had a loving home and now you/your dog are making room for more love and comfort.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Love and prayers to you, your sister and your beloved dog. As many here, I am a major lover of all animals. I have had to put too many pets down during my life and it is never easy. Do you plan to be with him when it happens? For me, I have always been present and have petted and helped guide them through the process. It's comforting to me that I'm the last person they see before they go to sleep. I just tell them how much they are loved and I thank them for their unconditional love.

I completely understand it's a personal preference and I what I said doesn't further upset you.

Again, my prayers are being sent for all involved.