Do alcoholics have remorse after rehab?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do alcoholics have remorse after rehab?

Do alcoholics that seperate or divorce their spouse have any remorse or regrets after rehab?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think all alcoholics experience remorse and regret when they first quit drinking. Whether an individual alcoholic feels remorse or regret about a separation or divorce is a very individual thing.

If you are asking, as the divorced or separated spouse, whether he or she will want to come back to you, that is a whole other issue. I certainly wouldn't have that expectation--you are likely to be disappointed if you do.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. We were together 26 years. I'm not counting on her coming back. I don't call or text her. She calls me and tells me about her appointments and meds. She gives me money every month since I'm in school. Our friends and family say she's not done but trying to get better. I don't see it and I don't expect her to return.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

When the ABF was in rehab, he called me crying about everything he did and how he feels so sorry and blahblahblah.
I told him to worry about himself right now, worry about me at step 9.

I should have known better, he never got to step 9! I should have recorded that, I think it's the last time I will ever hear it.

But for real, I don't think I have to hear it again. It showed me that he is still there, under all that alcoholic crap, and he really isn't the sociopath I assume him to be. Even when he is drunk. And he DOES remember the things he does, even if he claims not to.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inpieces314 View Post
When the ABF was in rehab, he called me crying about everything he did and how he feels so sorry and blahblahblah.
I told him to worry about himself right now, worry about me at step 9.

I should have known better, he never got to step 9! I should have recorded that, I think it's the last time I will ever hear it.

But for real, I don't think I have to hear it again. It showed me that he is still there, under all that alcoholic crap, and he really isn't the sociopath I assume him to be. Even when he is drunk. And he DOES remember the things he does, even if he claims not to.
My experiences have been along these ^^^ lines, too.

But in the end, if there's no action backing it up, it doesn't matter.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same here, after 17 years the alckie got sober, he divorced me.(the crazy one according to him). got drunk months later and told me crying that he made a mistake, he wanted me back and he would anything to get me back. I said okay come back after you are sober for a year and let's see what life does.....2 years later and he never called. Thanks to al-anon and this forum I did not hold my breath he will come back.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

mine is still a selfish *****....steps? what steps?...not being HONEST is the whole program...ooh ya and shift blaming? he blames me and my 12 step program on getting HEALTHY