Notices

Ready to quit

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Ready to quit

Hi, I'm 46, work full time as a well paid professional, am married with kids, dogs, a house, a nice car. Never been in trouble with the law. Sounds perfect, right? Well over the past 10 years I was hiding a terrible secret. Diagnosed with post partum depression after my 2nd child was born, I was put on anti-depressants but that wasn't enough...I started drinking wine on a daily basis. As stress increased in my life as I tried to juggle everything, so did the drinking increase. Eventually within the past year, I would start at lunch and often didn't even return to the office. I'd be late coming home and would blame work. It started to affect my relationships with family and my friends. I would forget things, I would drive intoxicated, I would wake up every morning with crippling anxiety. I would try to stop on my own, but discovered I couldn't. Finally, my family confronted me and said I had to do something. I talked to a mental health professional who put me in touch with an intensive outpatient program - I've been going to sessions 4 times a week now now for 2 months. I have learned so much about this disease. If there was any doubt that I am an alchololic, that doubt is gone. But I have still been struggling. Twice I made it 8 days without drinking, to then relapse. It's like my mind tricks me into believing that I can handle it. But the truth is that I can't - one drink is all it takes to set me back. I now believe that I can never "go back" to social drinking of any kind. And I need to stay vigilant and work at this. I've learned many relapse prevention tools, and I need to use them every day. I joined this group to be part of a community of others like me. :-) I do miss the social aspect of drinking, and I need to replace that with healthier alternatives.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me personally the combination of IOP, AA, and AVRT is what got me sober. Now AA keeps me sober
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((tinkerbell)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You may have been hiding, but it seems like it wasn't a secret.

This is a good place to find answers. Look around all the forums. Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, what is AVRT?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I am having the urge to drink also. It makes me so mad.

We just have to settle in and be uncomfortable for a while. It will pass. At least that is what I keep telling myself!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by tinkerbell11 View Post
Thanks, what is AVRT?
Addictive voice recovery technique. I think you will find lots of info on the secular connections portion of this website. For me it stopped the real critical urges but I needed a program that fixed more than my alcoholism. My drinking was just a symptom of other problems. For me AA addressed the social, mental, and spiritual portions of my life that were lacking
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome tinkerbell!

I can relate..... It took a lot of failed attempts to control my drinking before I could accept my alcoholism. We can get pretty miserable trying, too!

I tried to juggle everything
That was me, too, and it proved to be something I had to change in early sobriety. When we're trying to do it all (and do it perfectly), it's easy to feel overwhelmed and look for a way to turn our brains off. Learning to let things go is an ongoing lesson for me.

I'm glad you're here - this place helped me turn my life around.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR tinkerbell x