Notices

Vent

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vent

Gah. I'm just ready to throw it all in. I've got shingles which is making me feel like complete cr@p, my business still can't be opened due to flood damage so I am at home everyday and I've lost alot of customers and thousands of dollars, I just feel depressed and can't seem to get out of this rut. I know using wont make anything better but I just crave that instant gratification and being able to forget about everything/feel better for a little while.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MLC

I'm really sorry you feel poorly - I'm not feeling great myself, but there are others who are worse off than us.

I'm sorry about the flood damage too - I know that must be frustrating...but again maybe it's better to think about the things you're grateful for - you could have had your business in North Bundaberg or something....itmay be weeks, even months before some of those guys can get back to their homes and businesses to even start to clean up and salvage what they can.

You're doing great - don't turn tail now

D
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

This, too, shall pass. Trust me. If you don't drink, this will eventually be a memory. If you drink, you will have your own personal flood to deal with. One that will be harder to fix than the damage to your business.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talking

Shingles are so painful /uncomfortable. Im so sorry you are in such discomfort. I hope things start to get back to normal very soon for you.
Dee is right, there are so many more much worse off. Chin up.
I'm rootin for ya!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think it's really good to get those honest feelings out. I found it very helpful early on to just say out loud "I really want a drink right now" followed by "but I'm not going to". It helped me to identify emotions and stresses that triggered the desire to drink and to say out loud an action that counteracted them.

I'm sorry re shingles, I've heard they are really painful! It must be incredibly frustrating re your business too. Maybe you can turn to Facebook to let your customers know what is happening and give them updates so they keep you in their minds?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know what? Obviously I KNOW there are people worse off. Story of my life. You don't deserve to have a moment or be upset or have issues or feck up because you have no reason to. You don't have it bad. We were good parents to you, you have no right to have problems, blah blah.

I know. I'm doing what I can to help other people. I'm just having a vent because I feel.like.crap.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone was trying to downplay your frustration or say you have nothing to be upset about

You have be a little far sighted though.

Venting is fine - as long as you don't do what I used to do and let it drift into self pity...cos that led me back to drinking.

Hope things get better soon
D
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, See your Dr for nerve pain I have used amitriptyline for it and if your a good candidate to have it it works.
Oh and vent away, hope it helps.
John.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey midlife - you're right. Venting is just what you need. If that was me dealing with your stuff id be doing the same thing. Of course you know there's other worse off blah blah blah. I truly hope things start going your way. You are always there for others With wonderful advise and support. Thank you for that!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Midlife,

It's ok to feel like crap and you can always share it with us.

When I feel like this, I try to do something nice for myself like take a bubble bath, exercise, chocolate, or some other little treat. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

This stuff will pass and there is hope. Just don't use. That's guaranteed misery.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I really hope you start feeling better soon, midlife. Nothing feels positive when we're sick..... just try to rest and eat well. Each minute that passes puts you closer to feel good again. Hang in there.....
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
You know what? Obviously I KNOW there are people worse off. Story of my life. You don't deserve to have a moment or be upset or have issues or feck up because you have no reason to. You don't have it bad. We were good parents to you, you have no right to have problems, blah blah.

I know. I'm doing what I can to help other people. I'm just having a vent because I feel.like.crap.

Midlifecrisis,

Good for You!!!! With what you have going on and Shingles you deserve to vent as much as you want to. Hell, We have all had these kinds of days, and the last thing we want to here is "others have it worse than us". It's like "Of course I know that , I have Shingles not a cabbage for a brain!"

....but you know they mean well. Sometimes we just don't know what to say . In fact sometimes, like this, there is nothing TO say. Just let it out girl, you deserve to feel like crap. Life sucks sometimes, things aren't always fair, and, I can't freakin drink? That would sure **** me off too.So have at it.

Just remember however crappy you feel now it will be multiplied 10 fold if you get drunk---then you will have Shingles, a business in trouble , and your "Back to being a Drunk" and we all now how well we handle problems when we are drunk....and eventually hungover.

So rant and rave and scream and shout and cry and feel sorry for yourself ---You deserve that---

You don't deserve to give up the sobriety you have worked so hard for!!!

That's a fact !

We are here ----so rant away!

Stay Strong/ Stay Sober
TRIX
Old 02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lol trimixer @ cabbage for a brain.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Or go outside and scream, have a good cry, kickbox! Sometimes life is NOT fair! I don't know where you are in your recovery, obviously you are a lot farther than this newbie. I hope you find what you need to get through your difficult time
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Midlife, I feel for you and I know your feelings are real and don't want to not validate them. You are going through a rough time, Shingles and the flooding, while people may have it better than you, you don't have it better than me right now, so I'll give you that. I can't beat your problems with a stick... So feel free to vent away, I know that when it's really needed, blowing off some steam is helpful and a hell of a lot better than getting ourselves back in a bad rut again. Good luck, keep posting, venting, whatever you need.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

PS - When I saw you post, I thought I'd come in here and share my vent for the night, STILL not the same as yours, but son isn't doing well in school, he has homework he has to make up and sat here with him for the last three hours, lecturing, encouraging and waiting for him to pick two articles he's going to write about over the weekend on top of doing his math homework. Dad doesn't help him much and it sucks that my time with him ends up doing this every single time. Grrrrr!! Okay, there's my little vent. :P
Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
PS - When I saw you post, I thought I'd come in here and share my vent for the night, STILL not the same as yours, but son isn't doing well in school, he has homework he has to make up and sat here with him for the last three hours, lecturing, encouraging and waiting for him to pick two articles he's going to write about over the weekend on top of doing his math homework. Dad doesn't help him much and it sucks that my time with him ends up doing this every single time. Grrrrr!! Okay, there's my little vent. :P
Glad uou could share your vent. It's so hard with kids! Our eldest is nearly 13 and the homework is getting more serious etc.

How's it going now?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

MLC hang in there - don't use, Helping to care for 5 kids, working full time I'm amazed you're holding it together as well as you are I bet it helps being sober.

Some days are good, some days suck but any day you're sober from drugs and booze is a great day.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just found out no more job until septemebrz. Lotsof tkme on my hands now. Thanks for the teapots
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((midlife)) good for you on venting! I've been through a lot of stuff, in recovery, that I just had to come here and vent like crazy!

Shingles, from what I know (I used to be an RN, lost that career to addiction) are really painful. Went through a flood several years ago and though I didn't lose anything, it did affect me.

I've recently come across some bad stuff in my life (and I didn't do anything WRONG, dammit) but I still have to deal with it.

I'm NOT downplaying what you are going through, as I know it's tough. I'm just saying that I went into today feeling down, ticked off, and other feelings. I came through it with an attitude of gratitude...that I'm not f'd up to deal with it, that I don't have to worry about more bad consequences coming from my reckless behavior (still dealing with it) and the fact that I'm human. There will be ups and downs and it's up to me to decide how to deal with it.

I have vented on a few threads that I frequent, and it helps. It also helps to know that I'm not alone. Tough times don't last, tough people do. Yeah, I get tired of always being "tough" but darned if the consequences don't always work out?

Hang tough, sweetie. We've got your back and we do understand.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy