Notices

Need Some Help

Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need Some Help

So I haven't visited this site in almost 3 years but I have to stop fooling myself. I haven't been sober in about two and a half years. I'm lying to myself by saying I'm okay because I'm not. I drink every day before I get home and come home smashed. I lie to my wife that I don't drink but I think she knows the truth. I lie to my parents my kids and just about everyone that knew I had this problem. I'm so misserable with my life and what its become. I need help. Anybody out there that can tell me what to do.I dont know where to start.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Arthur.

I'm glad to know you are back. There is great experience here and a lot of support.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, it sounds like you're ready to be honest and to stop drinking. You can have the life you want and be the person you want to be.

You said you drink every day before you come home. Do you mean on the way home from work that you stop and drink? If so, change your routine tomorrow. Go home a different way, spend some time with your kids and your wife, don't buy any alcohol or bring any alcohol home. Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking because it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol? Just get through the day any way that you can. Each day will get a little easier. You can do this.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Arthur,

Welcome back!

SoberRecovery is a resource that is available 24 / 7. There are AA groups in most cities and towns.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome (back), Arthur -

I feel for you..... I remember how much work it took to hide my drinking and pretend that I had it all together. Things looked OK from the outside, but it's a miserable way to live.

I'm glad you posted today - you've already taken a step by coming here.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back. I hope we continue to see you around!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anna,
Thank you. You are so right. Starting tomorrow I go home a different way. I'm not going to go the way I normally do. I haven't spoken to my doctor yet I will call him in the morning. Seeing your reply gave me a glimmer of hope. I don't want this life of drinking anymore. I want to be happy and sober. It's going to be a long road ahead but I'm going to try one day at a time.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Arthur

D
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Arthur, welcome back. You did know where to start: you came here to acknowledge your problem and admit you need to change and asked for help! Good job!

Many of us (myself included) have stumbled many many times on the way to getting sober. We have different paths. Find a path that works for you. Ask for advice here on SR. No matter how many times we fall, the important thing is that we get back up and try again.

I am glad you are back!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Want my advice? stop drinking forever.
It is hard and there are obstacles, but one day at a time arthur.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you again, arthur. This time you'll be more determined. You know that alcohol is making your life miserable - there's no point in continuing that relationship. You can do it, arthur. We're glad you're back and ready to try again.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So it's been two days. I've changed my route home and I went to four meetings. I'm sober 48 hours! It's hard but I know I can do this. Thank you everyone for being here with me.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Go to a meeting everyday and do not drink in between. Get a sponsor ASAP even a temporary one. Just someone to talk to when you need it. It has worked for me and many others
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is very hard, Arthur, but it gets so much easier. For a long time I wanted to be sober, but I didn't want to do the work. I wanted a magic pill that would get me to where I am today. Looking back, I needed to do that hard work to get here. If not, I'd probably still be drinking.

48 hours is fantastic. Doesn't your spirit feel so much more elated than two days ago? Keep on keeping on.... you can do this!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Arthur!

I've stumbled so many times over the past 25 years I couldn't count them if I tried. Like you I just became sick of it and joined AA. It's made and is making a huge difference in my life and of course others around me. Having a support system is exactly what I needed and being able to talk to like minded people really clears my head and helps me focus on what's important to me in my life. I'm not obsessing about drinking now, rather obsessing about being the best person I can be for myself, my family and my friends.

Good luck and congrats for coming back!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Best of luck Arthur! Get through early sobriety and lean on whatever resource you need to do it. It gets much easier as time goes on.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

Good job getting to some meetings. I was going to suggest that. It's hard for many of us to quit this on our own.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your 48 hours sober! Take it a day at a time (or an hour, or whatever's manageable) and check in often - it really helps!