Notices

does exercise help with withdrawel symptoms?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does exercise help with withdrawel symptoms?

Do you think exercise helps with withdrawel symptoms?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that's one of those questions for a doctor. But I am going to say, I don't think so. I think getting rest and taking care of yourself, eating and staying hydrated is probably the best bet. Again, not my medical opinion.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zee

Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
I think that's one of those questions for a doctor. But I am going to say, I don't think so. I think getting rest and taking care of yourself, eating and staying hydrated is probably the best bet. Again, not my medical opinion.
What Vegibean says... I have only had enforced detox... I couldn't walk 1 metre while detoxing as I had alcoholic hepatitis, was very weak... good luck to you
Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it depends on what you are experiencing. If I'm getting those intense bursts of anxiety, going out for a very long walk does seem to help. I mean there's been times I've just wanted to run out the door & yes I just went out and walked & walked & walked. But if I'm not feeling that, rest is good too. I'm only responding to the question of exercise here.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LDT

It does depend on the person. I personally credit a strong regimen of yoga and lots of long, vigorous walks for regaining my health ( after detox) as rapidly as I did. Even my doctor was surprised. I just could not have done it without exercise.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, yes. I dont get severe withdrawals though, so in my experience only, it helps tremendously. After a few days of not drinking and Im feeling amazing then something triggers major anxiety like screaming kids,a house showing in the morning, all alone with a huge dinner going, I feel like Im gonna explode and the old thought comes back of "hmmm Im gonna have a few to calm down tonight...yes!" but since I am off alcohol right now, I know thats not an option, so what I did, tonight, in fact, is leave the kids with Grandpa, put my shoes on and race out the door and run until I feel like my lungs are gonna explode. By the time I get back and get my shoes off I am feeling almost 100% better. Its amazing really, its like a calm afterglow, better than any anti-anxiety med Ive tried...
But I suppose now that I think about it, that was more a craving I was feeling than withdrawal...
Nothing beats the natural endorphin high of exercise though!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ntmu View Post
I think it depends on what you are experiencing. If I'm getting those intense bursts of anxiety, going out for a very long walk does seem to help. I mean there's been times I've just wanted to run out the door & yes I just went out and walked & walked & walked. But if I'm not feeling that, rest is good too. I'm only responding to the question of exercise here.
I agree with the "it depends " approach on what your withdrawal symptoms may be. I do know that exercise is good for our self esteem and increases serotonin levels. One of serotonin's main affects is the impact it has on feelings of happiness, well-being, and a sense of self.

For me, alcohol was an escape, it made me feel more comfortable in my own skin (lots of alcoholics say this). Thus when I run or lift or do some form of exercise my body releases serotonin which tells my brain - hey, life ain't so bad. And if life isn't so bad and I feel better I don't look to the bottle to try and find my authentic self.

For me personally I believe that a lack of self esteem or respect for myself is at the center of my alcoholism (which is a form of suicide). The better I feel the less likely I am to relapse.

Take what you want and leave the rest, these are only my personal experiences and what I've learned about my body.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Once you have had a once over from a doc and they give their advice as to your current health first. Then I would say it may give you a focus, help keep your mind distracted and aid in sleeping better if you are naturally tired from exercise.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My experience is that exercise doesn't necessarily help with the physical withdrawal symptoms themselves, but it does accelerate the process of your body ridding itself of the toxens quicker. It increases heart rate, bloodflow and oxygen intake, and releases feel-good endorphens etc.

As far as the emotional symptoms go, after the physical symptoms had passed and I actually could physically move around without feeling like I had been hit by a truck (3-4 days for me), I found exercise to be a Godsend.

But that is just my personal experience. I don't think it would hurt to give some light exercise a go if you feel up to it, and see how your body responds. And of course, as others have mentioned, if you have concerns it is always best to consult a dr. first.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Helpful answers from everyone - I'd just add that for me, taking walks was a distraction. Strenuous exercise wouldn't have worked due to the condition I was in, but walking helped take my mind off things and helped me feel less jittery for awhile.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Wino--

While exercise is very important to me, I must say that I was fairly sedentary during my week in detox. There was one guy in detox for a couple days who was constantly pacing the halls and doing pushups and situps, but most of us slept or watched videos.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, I don't think I could have exercised in the first few days. But later on, exercise helps me immensely and I'm sure the good feelings it creates reduce the cravings.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you are feeling just a bit of what l was feeling then exercise would be the last thing on your mind...
l couldn't even get to the the sink.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

after a 35 year run, during a HOUSE COW detox,

i found excercise helped relieve the nervous anxiety, the DT shakes, and the racing mind.

also a schyte load of water
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like some others on this thread, I didn't have very bad withdrawals. Exercise helped me so much in dealing with the anxiety. But as others have shared from their experience, it might be good to get through a safe detox first if that is what is required.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you..I tried tapering off yesterday...drink at 2 pm..then 430..then a little one at 130 am...sleep was pretty bad but hopefully will help with the withdrawal...so its been about 8 hrs..I feel OK...I hope February 6 is my new starting day..I don't even want it!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I was just reading a New York Times article about how the same brain centers involved in addiction can get hung up on exercise.

How Exercise May Make Addictions Better, or Worse - NYTimes.com

At one time in my life, I was addicted to running. I slowly replaced that addiction with drinking.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Oh yes. Although during my first week I was EXHAUSTED. Exercise now helps me calm my mind. What Arctic is talking about, for me, when I experienced that, was a type of withdrawal combined with what is defined as alcoholism. Some people call them cravings. I exercise a lot now to try to lose the weight I put on in early sobriety - I ate everything in sight. Unfortunately, my body loves to pack on pounds.

I'd also like to add that those cravings disappeared at some point early last year, and they've never been back.