the Weirdest thing just happened to me....

Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the Weirdest thing just happened to me....

..... My landlady stopped by today and asked me who the guy was that she saw me with a few weeks ago ( my alcoholic friend in recovery came to spend a day with me, we went for a walk in town and ran into her). I explained that I wasn't seeing him anymore and ended up telling her all about him.

She then told me that she had a similar story and that she had been attending AlAnon at the church next to my house for the last 7 years. She invited me to attend and I, of course said, " I don't think that's necessary.... I only knew him for 7 months...." She then asked me why my eyes were red, I told her I had been crying. She said.." do you cry like that for ALL your friends honey....? I think you would benefit from the shared experience on Monday, I will see you at 8....."

What am I likely to experience there?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll sit there and listen and talk - or not - to / with a bunch of complete strangers that have been in most every awful position (and then some) that you have with alcoholism. For me - it made everything see not SO bad / not SO urgent / and not SO hopeless with my loved ones addicted to alcohol. There is some comfort in being with people you have never met and sharing (with or without saying them) some of your deepest secrets, fear, and pain. I hope you go! It has helped me a lot, and I've only been 5 times.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A lot of allies and a lot of compassion. Try it!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'll find a place where you don't feel crazy. And where you feel like people truly, deeply understand you.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

What have you got to lose? May help you to not make the same mistake again.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Goodness,healing,recovery.

Originally Posted by yorkshire View Post
..... My landlady stopped by today and asked me who the guy was that she saw me with a few weeks ago ( my alcoholic friend in recovery came to spend a day with me, we went for a walk in town and ran into her). I explained that I wasn't seeing him anymore and ended up telling her all about him.

She then told me that she had a similar story and that she had been attending AlAnon at the church next to my house for the last 7 years. She invited me to attend and I, of course said, " I don't think that's necessary.... I only knew him for 7 months...." She then asked me why my eyes were red, I told her I had been crying. She said.." do you cry like that for ALL your friends honey....? I think you would benefit from the shared experience on Monday, I will see you at 8....."

Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Amazing! It is truly a blessing when someone can look at someone else even if they dont say a word and know to a level of deep understanding their hurt.
It is wonderful that there are people like this all around us and maybe even a gift for you
That she aproached you. Reaching out her hand to help heal your wounds.
You will likely experience familiar stories....people who can become good friends and a bit of yourself. It may be exactly what you had been looking for...just not aware of it
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, that is SOOO cool! There are NO coincidences. How great that you will have someone you know take you to your first meeting!

Al-Anon is wonderful, and I think you will be amazed at how good it feels to be in the company of others who really GET it. It's a lot like SR, only with in-person hugs (and, if you're lucky, coffee and cookies).
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first day...

...of the rest of a much improved life. Keep an open mind, and try a few meetings before making a final decision about whether or not to continue.

Your landlady sounds wise and fantastic to me. Much love to her.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by yorkshire View Post

Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me the just sharing with others that knew what I was going through was a relief.

The most important thing I got very quickly was to get out of my pity party mode. There were situations discussed that were better than mine (IMO), and situations that were far worse. It gave me some perspective on my life to remember it was not all **** - I had a great career, I am healthy, wonderful family etc. - that was motivation to do something about it rather than wallow in the misery of the relapse.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LOVE your landlady! She had the courage to reach out to you. You have nothing to lose by spending one hour at a meeting, and it will be a little easier to go with someone you know. You will find like souls who understand your journey.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe that everything happens for a reason. It is an accident she approached you and shared a little bit of herself with you.

Go to the meeting, you never know what you will take out of it. If you don't go, you'll never know what the reason for this convorsation was.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ave

I believe maylie meant to say, it is NOT an accident. and I don't think it is!! This is wonderful! Your landlady sounds like an awesome lady, and there is a reason you ran into her with the guy, and she reached out to you to ask about him, and when you told her, she just happens to have been in al-anon for 7 years (ah!!! so awesome!!) There are no coincidences! Your higher power is beckoning you to take the next step in your recovery!!!

I read something once that I really liked, "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous". To me, your experience seems like a great example of that

go!!!! I've only been to a few al-anon meetings so far but they have been immensely helpful to me.