Notices

Couple of questions

Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Couple of questions

So. Made up my mind to quit. Always been quite a heavy and daily drinker. Prob same for a lot of you folks. Started with a six pack, then added some wine, switched to a pint of vodka, now close to a fifth, if not a fifth. Everyday. Without fail. Things escalated dramatically in last few months since I moved away from NYC to escape the taxes and work from home office. Easy to pour a few during the day. Plus wife and kids are in house and she is a little stressed about new place. Makes me start nice and early. Prob common enough. So question I have is best quitting regime. I feel god awful every morning. Sometimes succumb to a drink to ease the pain. If I don't succumb to a drink, I'll feel fine by the evening, but wow, what a tough day, pure misery (and since I'm home with the family, I can't even show it, have to look bright and happy all day). So bad that I will invariably drink out of relief the day is over. And cycle starts anew. I do have a bottle of Librium that I once got from a doctor. Never taken it. Will that kind of ease the pain of that first day? Or will it just knock me out? If I can make it through a day or two I really think I can beat it. Just can't afford to be in a zombie state for those two days. Thanks. Once I get things going, would like to start a daily journal on here just for support and to keep my eye on the ball.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery!

We always recommend you see a doctor. People can actually die from detoxing, and the doctor might prescribe something to help with symptoms.

I look forward to reading your success story!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for deciding to stop drinking and to live a sober life. )

We can't offer any kind of medical advice here, and it's always a good idea to talk to your dr before detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Going to a doctor that has experience with alcoholism is definately advised. Withdrawl can be fatal plus he can get a base line on your health in general.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I have absolutely no idea what Librium will do, better ask your doc first!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not asking for any medical advice or anything. Got the prescription from my doctor for the specific reason of detox. Just reaching out to the community to see if it will make my loopy or zombiefied. Just want to know what to expect and to plan accordingly.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bk123

I think you're best to speak to your Dr again if you have concerns or queries, especially if the script is an older one.

If you are not sure you trust their judgement it might be wise to find a new Dr and get a second opinion

None of us are Doctors. We don't know your clinical history or your current medical circumstances.

We can share our experience, but recounting what happened to us and how we overcame it may not be suitable for you...and it may well keep someone else reading from seeking the professional assistance they need.

There is a line between wanting to know about others experiences, and asking for specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

We are a peer support group here.
We simply cannot give medical advice.

You need to see a medical professional for that - it's in your best interests

D