Notices

I need support to stop drinking

Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rmr

I need support to stop drinking

Hi,

I am pretty sure I hit rock bottom on Super Bowl Sunday. Had a big party family and friends. I got so drunk I did something very inappropriate to my brothers girlfriend (I am a straight woman), picked a fight with a complete stranger for no reason and was so out of it everyone left. I completely blacked out. Proir to this incident, I have been drinking daily, all day every day. My husband drinks but not to excess. However he is not very supportive because he continues to bring alcohol into the house. Actually no support. I don't believe in the 12 step process but in need of dire help. I am on day 2 sober and I am trying to quit smoking at the same time. Any advice would be great.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome to SRC rmr..
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Any AA meetings in your area?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Listen, I didn't believe in the 12 step process before and was a daily (morning, noon, night) vodka drinker for years. I'm 31. I was so sick and gross with my life and tried to quit by myself so many times and it never worked.

I decided 101 days ago, to try AA in a last ditch effort. I had gone to meetings before and hated them. Didn't understand it at all. Felt like a cult. But, it has worked for millions and what I was doing wasn't working so I tried it.

This is what has been working for me:

Comitted to 90 meetings in 90 days (was not happy about this in the beginning)
Got a sponsor.
Saw a therapist specializing in addiciton
Went on an anti-anxiety medication
Got a prescription based sleeping med becasue I was abusing booze and pOTC pills to sleep.

I'm 101 days sober nad couldn't be happier. Doing something you don't want to do because you deathly want to be sober is a humbling experience. it's helped me and i'm a cynic. Maybe consider it...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. We have all been where you are right now. I got sober here.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We dp imderstand how hard this is. There is lots of support here so keep reading and posting.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by rmr View Post
I am on day 2 sober and I am trying to quit smoking at the same time. Any advice would be great.
How 'bout one addiction at a time. Which one is making your life unmanageable? Quit that one.

Welcome.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
Any AA meetings in your area?
My apologies. I misread your statement that you dont believe in the 12 step process. I thought you wrote that you do believe. I need to slow down

Im sure youll find some support here.
Best wishes.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

RMR: Giving up smoking AND drinking at the same time could be tough. Be gentle with yourself, and know you are not alone.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I have only been to 3 AA meetings. Don't worry about 12 steps now. I just go and listen. Nobody has forced a sponsor or steps on me. I don't want to hear about steps yet. But just going and listening has been truly amazing for me. Really incredible.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rmr

Thank you for the kind welcome

I really appreciate all of the advice. I know the priority on what to quit first is the drinking for sure. I guess I am trying to tackle two demos at once. Thats funny because I am powerless at this point.

As for the AA meetings, I should mention that I am a loner and prefer the comfort of home until I have the guts to face the world without thinking everyone knows my issue. Like wearing a huge sign.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jkb

Check out the secular connections board. It goes into Rational Recovery, Smart and non-program recovery. I find that RR is amazing
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmr View Post
I really appreciate all of the advice. I know the priority on what to quit first is the drinking for sure. I guess I am trying to tackle two demos at once. Thats funny because I am powerless at this point.

As for the AA meetings, I should mention that I am a loner and prefer the comfort of home until I have the guts to face the world without thinking everyone knows my issue. Like wearing a huge sign.
WHOAA!!!!

Go easy!! I could not even think of quitting smoking for a year after being sober. My counselor even agreed, not to do both--drinking first --that was the real bear, then you can think about the smoking.

.....and Yes Super Bowl Sunday's have a way of bringing out the worst in we alcoholics---it is a b---- I bet you would like a "Drunks DO OVER DAY! Sorry--but the good thing is if that behavior doesn't make you want to quit don't you wonder what will??

Good Luck RMR-- I think your Ready!!

We are here for you
Stay Strong/Stay Sober
Trix
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it makes sense to quit the drinking first and then the smoking. I htink it is essential that you find some type of support whether it is the SR board or/and some other face-to-face contact. I found it necessary to also set up appointments with my doctor as well as to get in to counseling again. I know you maynot like to leave home but if nothing changes, nothing will change. You CAN do this!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, rmr. Congrats on your sobriety thus far! I think it is a good thing to have an open mind about all the different opportunities that could help you stay sober. 12 step programs may not be for you in the long run, but that is not to say that you can't accept some guidance from one such program initially. You are on the right track so far by being sober. Keep up the good work! :-)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

SR is really helpful, always fresh ideas and supportive comments. Stick around and read for awhile. Glad you are here with us.
Take care
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR.
If you are a loner RR might be for you, they have a book and you basically from what I understand work the program alone from home.
I would urge you though to keep an open mind, not all AA meetings are alike and there are many ways to get and remain sober.
SR is a really great place to be at for support whatever system you use to stay sober. Some members have been successful long term just using this forum.
I see that you joined the Class of February...this is great. I am in the class of January and it really helps to talk to and exchange experience with people who are where I am at.
Anyway I hope you hang in there and congrats on your decision to quit.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

And by the way, getting to 2 days is awesome. That is a huge first step.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RMR

Many of us have had embarrassing days when drinking...it is possible to come back from that and turn your life around., SR has been a great help in that for me

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around too - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach

D
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
rmr

You guys are awesome

Thank you all. I will look into RR and I have been in the newcomers chat room. I will take advantage of all SR has to offer. I have decided to take on one demon at a time so I don't go crazy...lol