Notices

Where do I go from here?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day @ a Time

Where do I go from here?

I'm at the point where I'm ready for my life to move on and progress, I've been working on my sobriety but I'm at a standstill after a slip up over something stupid. For some reason this random mentality of hopelessness, and anxiety is holding me back and weighing me down to a point where I have no clue where to go, where st START. I can't just pick up where I left off... That's why I have a drinking problem in the first place.
It consumes me in a way that I can't escape. I don't sleep at night, I have no appetite, motivation for pretty much anything is out of the question.
Has anyone else fought this internal battle?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Fighter, it is no mystery that many alcoholics drink because of character defects. We need to to some spiritual work to rid ourselves of the pain of addiction. Are you working any kind of program like AA?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day @ a Time

I wasn't before, but certainly should have been. Now I have plans to attend an AA meeting soon, as in tomorrow, maybe. I was going to go tonight actually, but I told myself maybe it would be better to go after I meet my counselor tomorrow...
Honestly, I have no clue whats stopping me from going... I've just got this anxious feeling of being an outcast... unaccepted? It sounds ridiculous I know. But being from a very small town it's difficult to feel comfortable with some situations.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You should find folks very welcoming and understanding at any AA meeting you attend. Even here on Orcas Island, there are several different groups to choose from; so if you don't feel comfortable at one meeting, try another.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Day @ a Time

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
...so if you don't feel comfortable at one meeting, try another.
Thank you.
Hopefully my anxiety will ease once I actually give it a try.
Does it really help set you in a new direction? Like making new friends/acquaintances, finding new places to hang out rather than sitting at home depressed and lonely?
Now I've got a racing mind, so many questions...
How does a sponsor work, ...getting set up with one?

Of course I don't expect answers or any specifics, my mind just ran away with the thoughts of AA and uncertainty...
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by ShesuhFighter View Post
Thank you.
Hopefully my anxiety will ease once I actually give it a try.
Does it really help set you in a new direction? Like making new friends/acquaintances, finding new places to hang out rather than sitting at home depressed and lonely?
Now I've got a racing mind, so many questions...
How does a sponsor work, ...getting set up with one?

Of course I don't expect answers or any specifics, my mind just ran away with the thoughts of AA and uncertainty...
I've got time, and my wife doesn't mind my being on SR...

"Does it really help set you in a new direction?" Yes, being around other recovering alcoholics in your community is very helpful.

"Like making new friends/acquaintances, finding new places to hang out rather than sitting at home depressed and lonely?" You will meet people at AA who want to socialize without drinking. Just this opens a whole new world...

"How does a sponsor work, ...getting set up with one?" The Lake Chelan Community Hospital recommends that your sponsor have one year of consecutive sobriety and have completed the 12-step program. I was approached by my sponsor and his sponsor at my third meeting. If you show interest in the program, it is likely someone will talk to you about sponsorship.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome Shesuhfighter. I would just add that you should be going in with realistic expectations. There's no quick fix. Even if you immediately find the right AA environment for your recovery, it will take time and effort. Do not expect immediate results.

Good luck, Buddy!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I've just got this anxious feeling of being an outcast... unaccepted?"
i felt this way my entore life. then i got into AA. i found a fellowship who had the same common problems as me. i found my family and my home.

"Does it really help set you in a new direction? Like making new friends/acquaintances, finding new places to hang out rather than sitting at home depressed and lonely?"

putting into action the program outlined in the big book is what took me from a useless,worthless,helpless,hopeless drunk and turned me into a worthwhile active member of society that can look in the mirror and like who i see. i have gotten some very good, true friends as a bonus.

"Hopefully my anxiety will ease once I actually give it a try."
fear of the unknown had me drive away from my 1st meeting without going in. the 2nd meeting i went to( the next evening) i still had the fear( anxiety), but got me some courage. courage doesnt mean the absense of fear( anxiety) it means i will do the right thing in spite of it. best move i ever made. i kept goin back, got a big book, read andread and read...then reread and reread and reread. it started sinking in. then i started putting it into action. a sponsor who had worked the program and pratices the principles on a daily basis helped me tremendously to understand it all.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
"I've just got this anxious feeling of being an outcast... unaccepted?"
i felt this way my entore life. then i got into AA. i found a fellowship who had the same common problems as me. i found my family and my home.
This is exactly what I found as well. AA is the only place I have ever felt truely safe and at home
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Start a fitness program and get yourself into great shape.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day @ a Time

All the advice and reassurance has helped a bunch. Thank you!
Now I just need to get the ball rolling.

Met my new Counselor today, and she will be setting me up with a local gal, around my age, who has had a similar life and lifestyle to my own. She attends AA and once I meet her she will be taking me to the meeting with her to show me what it's all about.
A little less uneasy now.