Notices

Taking A Break From SR

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking A Break From SR

Not sure that it matters and not really sure why I am posting this but did want to let folks know I will be taking a rest from the site for a while.

There are so many good people on here and so much to learn. I appreciate all of that. Seems lately though that there are also a lot of debates, strife and things that honestly are difficult to read and understand. None of this was directed at me but I am just speaking in general. As the old saying goes, "If you don't like it, you don't have to read it."

Thanks to all the great folks on here. I will likely check in from time to time. Just didn't want the few that I have gotten to know in some small way to think I completely dropped off the face of the earth.

Life is good. Sobriety is good. I am grateful for both.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know!
Hope to hear back from you again sometime
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happier View Post
Not sure that it matters and not really sure why I am posting this but did want to let folks know I will be taking a rest from the site for a while.

There are so many good people on here and so much to learn. I appreciate all of that. Seems lately though that there are also a lot of debates, stife and things that honestly are difficult to read and understand. None of this was directed at me but I am just speaking in general. As the old saying goes, "If you don't like it, you don't have to read it."

Thanks to all the great folks on here. I will likely check in from time to time. Just didn't want the few that I have gotten to know in some small way to think I completely dropped off the face of the earth.

Life is good. Sobriety is good. I am grateful for both.
Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.

Mahatma Gandhi

Best of luck to you!

Xu
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take care Happier

D
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wishing you continued sobriety and growth, Happier.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What seems to work for me is to take what
I need and leave the rest. Whatever I need
to help me stay happy and sober each day.

Since recovery is a personal choice and
decision for me, I can take my time going
at my own pace using some valuable
knowledge and tools of my addictions
to incorperate in my everyday life.

So far it keeps working for me and it
can be for you too.

Staying connected to recovery each day
reminds me of what's important in staying
sober.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on the verge of joining you Happier because of posts taken the wrong way, words misconstrued and then whole sentences made up from what I have (never) said. I forgot to add the snide swipes and the unsaid nastiness for daring to disagree with somebody.

I love the newcomers forum, but fear to speak my mind here now thanks to 2 posters in particular.

I'll continue with my secular thread.

I wish you all the best
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

MTN,

Sent you a PM, but your inbox was full. Please check.

Thanks,
Trix
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Happier and MyTimeNow, I hope you both continue to check in and participate on whatever level you're comfortable with. I've enjoyed and learned from both of your postings. It's funny, I've found online and in life that people are interested in drama. We don't like being bored. I know even if there are threads that seem to be taking a negative turn I still read them, and they are often the ones that have a lot of replies. I'm not a negative person either, but it's like a train wreck-you can't look away.

I would guess that you won't find any of that in the gratitude section, so that may be a safer and more pleasant place to hang out.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just want to expand on what I've said elsewhere today - SR has become such a big place even in the time I've been here that it's not logistically possible for the mod staff to be everywhere anymore.

We rely on you guys - this is the Internet - there will always be disagreements...but if you see harassment, bullying or a full scale riot a-brewing etc., please report posts or PM a mod.

If it's a personal conflict...please - consider using the ignore function, at least for a while...

you won't see posts or receive any communications from those on your ignore list...it can really take the sting out of situations

D
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I just want to expand on what I've said elsewhere today - SR has become such a big place even in the time I've been here that it's not logistically possible for the mod staff to be everywhere anymore.

We rely on you guys - this is the Internet - there will always be disagreements...but if you see harassment, bullying or a full scale riot a-brewing etc., please report posts or PM a mod.

If it's a personal conflict...please - consider using the ignore function, at least for a while...

you won't see posts or receive any communications from those on your ignore list...it can really take the sting out of situations

D
Well said!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you both are feeling worn down by the negativity here on the board. I sometimes have felt the same and I do take breaks. At this point having been sober a few years I am comfortable in my sobriety. It is now easier for me to just let go some of what I find ignorant and/or offensive. Just remember there is good here, there is lots of experience and wisdom too. Sometimes you have to suffer weeds to get good fruit. And as Dee said, the ignore feature can work wonders! And it is somehow quite rewarding to put those annoying twits on it. I'm probably on some lists myself.