Notices

New to Recovery. Definitely Anxious!

Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trying to find clarity

New to Recovery. Definitely Anxious!

Hello everyone!

This may sound silly to some but I am addicted to marijuana. Smoking it and obtaining it have become the most important things in my life. I am bleeding money and not focusing on college, which I've paid a pretty penny to attend.

I've been smoking for years, everyday for over a year, but in the last few months I've begun smoking so much that I'm high almost all day, every day. It's taken over my life and I know I have no one to blame but myself.

I've never heard of meetings for marijuana addiction so I'm hoping to find support here. The last time I smoked was Friday night so it's been almost 2 days now and I'm craving it bad but I think I can handle it (for now at least)!

I have also given up drinking. I was a binge drinker, I wouldn't drink for weeks but when I would I would go way overboard. Despite this, the only time some of the people in my life (I hesitate to call them friends) say I am fun is when I am drinking or really high. They say I'm boring when I don't drink or smoke :/ In the last couple months I wasn't drinking because I was tired of how sick it made me but recently I was put on medication and now can't drink. I had figured I'd stay "fun" by smoking but since that has become such a problem I know I'm going to be put down by these people I'm forced to socialize with. I don't really care what they think but I'm not looking forward to listening to them complain.

I would like to smoke socially, but I fear it will be similar to when I would say I was going to have one drink. I don't know if I could handle smoking one day and then stopping again for a long time.

This is all very new to me and I'm not sure how successful I will be. I am very hopeful that coming here will help me to stay strong. Thanks for "listening"
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome LoriJ.

It sounds like you are ready to make a change. Please stick around and read and share as much as you'd like.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Marijuana is a drug and while it is not quite physically addictive like many other drugs, it can definitely be psychologically addictive. You're not being silly. When you use a drug like that for a long time, you get used to using it, you can smoke more and more of it with less effect than the first time, it costs you too much money, it clouds your thinking and messes with your short term memory, it affects you weight, and you overall productivity. It can cause anxiety and paranoia. How is it not like other drugs? You're in the right place Girl.

Keep reading and feel free to ask questions, there are TONS of supportive people here, this site is awesome!! Welcome to SR.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I'm glad you joined us. :ghug3
Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Lori!

I think it's great that you're making this decision for yourself. Once I stopped drinking, I found (contrary to my expectations) that I had more fun sober. It just takes a little time to adjust and discover new activities/interests.

The people who think we're "boring" because we're not smoking/drinking/using are speaking from a skewed perspective (just like we were). There's actually a LOT of people who don't depend on substances to have a good time.

Glad you're here!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Lori!

I think you'll love it here. There's so much good advice and encouragement for all of us addicts. I'm glad you've taken this big step. Some never admit they have a problem & try for years to manage it alone. Good job on reaching out for help.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Freehold has one Marijuana Anonymous meeting.

Narcotics Anonymous will accept you.

Glad you found SR!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=LoriJ1782;3803945]Hello everyone!

This may sound silly to some but I am addicted to marijuana. Smoking it and obtaining it have become the most important things in my life. I am bleeding money and not focusing on college, which I've paid a pretty penny to attend.

Hi Lori. I go to NA and AA. You would fit right in at NA, Plus you look fairly young. Lotsa young people in AA. Google it in ur area.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR

You are correct in not seeing those people as your friends. They are (were) your 'party' friends and IMHO, ANYONE who would put you down or criticize you for trying to improve your life is NOT a 'True Friend'.

One of the hardest things for me to do was redefine what a True Friend was to me. Once I figured that out and distanced myself from my 'Party Friends', it was a lot easier to move forward on getting clean and sober.

You are not alone in your struggle with pot, I quite drinking on July 20, 2012 after 35 years of getting drunk every night and then stopped smoking pot on Jan 2, 2013 after smoking daily for nearly as long....I was afraid that quitting both at the same time, would just set me up to fail.

You will find lots of support here, so dont hesitate to post whenever you need some encouragement. We never close!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do it. Think for yourself and don't worry what anybody else thinks. I had a heck of a time quitting weed and now I say to myself "you don't wanna have to do that again" when I get a craving. Stick with it. You've made it this far, keep on goin'.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LoriJ1782

I smoked daily or near daily for nearly 30 years so it's not silly to me - I doubt it's silly to most of us

Originally Posted by LoriJ1782 View Post
Despite this, the only time some of the people in my life (I hesitate to call them friends) say I am fun is when I am drinking or really high. They say I'm boring when I don't drink or smoke :/ In the last couple months I wasn't drinking because I was tired of how sick it made me but recently I was put on medication and now can't drink. I had figured I'd stay "fun" by smoking but since that has become such a problem I know I'm going to be put down by these people I'm forced to socialize with. I don't really care what they think but I'm not looking forward to listening to them complain.
yeah I had to leave my little smoker's circle.

I think when what others think of us is more important than what regard of ourselves and our own health, it's probably time to make some changes?

I would like to smoke socially, but I fear it will be similar to when I would say I was going to have one drink. I don't know if I could handle smoking one day and then stopping again for a long time.

This is all very new to me and I'm not sure how successful I will be. I am very hopeful that coming here will help me to stay strong. Thanks for "listening"
I know for me it was all or nothing...it's like I had no off switch with either booze or pot...sounds like you might be the same?

I know you'll find support here - and a few ideas too - it's great you've found us Lori

D
Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You'll find a heap of info and support here.

Be very wary of your friends' motives calling you boring without alcohol or smoking. I had friends accuse me of that when I have up alcohol. I am very funny and very good sober company (if I do say so myself!). One friend even said I was not fun whilst the whole table was laughing at a story I was telling that had happened to me that day. After I finished and he wiped his eye he said 'oh, I preferred you when you're drinking, you're no fun sober'. Seriously!!

I'm telling you this because it was only his take on the situation, and he just wanted me to get on the drink and keep him company. Just so it didn't make his obsessive drinking obvious. I can see this now but at first I so worried what everyone else thought.

I've sat with potheads in my student days in utter amazement that they could laugh at the oddest things. I don't think the people you're hanging out with are good judges.

I starters out as a binger, but it did progress to almost daily after work drinking - you'll feel so much better sober, I promise.

Good luck

S x
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trying to find clarity

Thank you all so much for replying to me! I'm so used to other forums (for other topics, like weight loss, etc) where introductions don't get much attention so I love that you're all so nice and helpful right away! It's definitely going to be a struggle. I'm so addicted to being high I find I don't know what to do with myself now. I napped a lot Saturday and Sunday to pass the time. There was once a time when I lived most of my life sober so I know I will fill the void with positive things once I'm better adjusted

I'm glad to hear NA will accept me, but I worry the other addicts will make fun of me for "only being addicted to pot". I don't know if people really do that, one of my real friends, that wants me to get help, put that in my head. I also suffer from pretty severe anxiety and I know she's just worried about me being uncomfortable. Has anyone been to a meeting where marijuana was one of the addicts primary addictions?

I'm so glad I found this site! I look forward to the time when I can count my time sober in more than days