Notices

This is my last chance

Old 02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my last chance

People talk about rock bottom, it's different I guess for everyone....but this is mine. I have let myself down for such a long time, so many years of saying I'll stop but never stopping. So many years of lies.

I have a milestone life birthday coming up on Sunday, and the fact that I am still an alcoholic mess at 49 is so horrifying to me. This is it. I am done.

I have grown to despise alcohol as much as I despise myself.

There's nothing I can do about my regrets and wasted years, but I can turn 50 sober. I need to do this; I want this more than I ever knew I could.....just don't think I can do it on my own.

So I'm here.....
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don't have to do it alone. And by the way,I'm a little past 50 at which age I still didn't get it. And didn't want it then. So don't feel so bad about the age factor or lost days of the past. You have 2day,and that's what is important. I haven't been sober too long,so I'm not the authority on any of this. I'm just working at it one day at a time. Seeking help and support wherever I can get it. Educating myself on recovery methods and alcoholism. Glad you are here. And by the way,wishing you a Happy Birthday this upcoming Sunday. What a great present to give yourself.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you can do it - but as you wrote, not by yourself. For me AA is the boat that I can cling to when the oceans are rocky.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome and welcome!

What are you going to do different this time, compared to the times before where you didn't stay sober?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No, you dont have to do it alone!
Welcome to SR...it has been a very big help for me .
And Id like to ask the same question as Zune.....how is it going to be different? I ask this because I know that for myself I needed a plan, a lifestyle change, a support system, lots of self care etc. Every time I said I was quitting and that was it I meant it....but I didnt follow through with any help for myself, and Ive found that to be critical.
You CAN reach 50 sober!!!!!!! We are rooting for ya
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Venus,

I was not much younger than you when I stopped drinking and I have had very little time for regrets. I do regret that I didn't get help for my depression/anxiety, but I also accept that I wasn't able to until that point in my life. We are all where we're supposed to be and right now is the time when you can begin to recover and enjoy life as a sober person.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I got sober almost one month after I turned 50.

Working towards 21 months today!

You can do this!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey venus, you can do this, keep coming around here, tons of support and you'll get a lot of great suggestions and experience from everyone here. Welcome to SR.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

if your still alive then you will always have a chance to quit
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! It's never too late to better your life. Just don't give up on yourself, ever! :ghug3
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome (back), venuscat!

I'm sure it's hard to imagine right now, but better days are ahead. Be careful with detoxing and stay close to this forum - it really helps!:ghug3
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to see you posting, venuscat. As long as there's life, there's always another chance.

Things looked awfully grim to me when I quit, too. Now I see that's because I was still trapped in addiction. Of course I was depressed, and of course you are too—it seems that's how pretty much everyone feels when they reach the point of quitting.

And, you know, the age thing is relative. Someone else could look you and feel considerable envy that you're quitting so young.

And it's pretty cool to be turning 50, and know that your best years are ahead of you. They are, you know. You're going to be so grateful you didn't give up.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I wish I had quit when I was 50, venuscat. I believe you can quit right now - I wish I had known it was possible for me to do it then. Make no mistake, it is possible for you too.

And Happy 50th Birthday to you!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Never quit quitting!

Happy Birthday
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Venuscat,
just remembering my 50th now, which i used to break a couple-of-months-abstinent spell by asking someone at my party to share her wine with me. then had to figure out where and how to get more without it looking too odd that i was leaving the party in my honour earlier than anyone else! oh the yuck-factor!
drank for a more than another year after that but can tell you that yeah, there's life after getting sober! real life!good, bad, indifferent, but real.
you can do this. congrats on the decision for a sober life!
being on a forum daily was a huge help to me, and maybe you'll find that to be true for you, too.
happy upcoming b-day to you.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR venuscat

D
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

Great decision, it's never too late while you're still kicking
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow......thank you all so much for your responses.....I'm overwhelmed, and incredibly grateful.....Zune and Windancer ~ the first thing I am doing differently is telling the truth. I never tell the truth; I lie to myself over and over. Other than that, I'm here, and I won't run away this time....my other personal favourite.
Last night I asked myself the question: is it possible to be happy without alcohol and drugs? And I realised that I don't know the answer. It might be very possible, but I never give myself the chance to find out....I realised that the people I need to ask are right here. I intend to listen for once, and put my ego away.
That's my first step....or maybe my second, because God and I both know that I am powerless over alcohol, and I finally admit it......so much love to you all, and thank you for caring
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

All the best venuscat. Don't just rely on your own willpower, after all you've been addicted for a long time and your alcoholic voice ain't going to go quietly. I say this not to discourage you in any way, just to suggest you marshal your support and have a plan for dealing with the cravings and possibly withdrawal.
Have you contacted any health professionals, or AA or some other support network?