Notices

Hello

Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I have tried not drinking too much and have failed miserably. Today is my first day sober. My wife is done with me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to write here everyday and keep you all posted on my hopefull success. My plan is not to drink at all in Feb. And then see if I stay sober or maybe have a drink or two. I have never gone over a week with out drinking. I hope i can do this.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome! I am 6 days sober, and I haven't had very many streaks of 6 sober days in the past 10 years. I suggest reading a lot on this site. Not everything you read will be helpful, but I keep finding nuggets of wisdom I can use. Something will work for you. Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us, and I hope that at the end of February you will decide to continue with your recovery.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to our family, Auser! It helps to know we aren't alone in this. I was lost until I came here. Having people to discuss it with who really understand made all the difference to me. You can do it, Auser - and have a better life.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Just like AA you can get a "home group" right here at Sober Recovery. The Newcomer thread is a great place to read and post if you'd like. There's also separate links on alcoholism, substance abuse and the Co-Dependents (Family & Friends of Addicts & Alcoholics).

You might want to join the February "Class." That way you are with people each day in the same boat you are in. You go through your new journey together. It's remarkable how quickly you can grow close to others on this website. I encourage you to stick around. Keep an open mind and keep reading and posting daily.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Auser, I too am going for the rest of February dry (day 2 today) and am going to assess how I feel after that.

Hopefully we can support each other.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you found your way to SR.

You are not alone.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Auser. I'm glad you are here. SR is a great place to learn about addressing your problem with alcohol.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! sounds like you're ready for a change - you can do it.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Auser

I really recommend checking out the Class of February thread - it's for everyone quitting or trying to quit this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2013-a-3.html

D
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

no sleep

Well I had the insomnia that I get from a binge drinking weekend. So tired have to work today. I feel like a fool, and I looked like an idiot in front of my family that means the most to me. Im going to go to work, come home and get a good book to read. Ive realized that I spent of lot of time drinking. I am trying to look at the bright side of things and look at all the free time Im going to have. Not to mention no hangovers. 2.5 years ago I did this same thing was on here and then slowly convinced myself that heavy drinking was ok again. How far have i fallen. I dont know if ill be able to drink ever again, but I have my cousin who is going to once a week sit down and talk about how Im doing like a sponsor. Anyway thanks for listening
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its a good thing

I grew up and my father is a functioning alcoholic and my grandfather used to be. I watched then get drunk and idiolized them. I grew up and went to college and was a huge drunk but releatively under control. When to four more years of college and started loosing control. Graduation time got a job and was a roring drunk, my wife drinks a little and rarley overserved, I was an idot this weekend. I dont know how I can face my aunts and uncles again. I hope that this no beer feb can be my savior. I worried about my health liver, and I m just done trying to fool myself that I dont have a problem. I may or not be able to drink ever again, but if I do it is going to be on my terms, anymore failures and ill hang up beer for good. My wife disearved more and so do I.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auser View Post
I grew up and my father is a functioning alcoholic and my grandfather used to be. I watched then get drunk and idiolized them. I grew up and went to college and was a huge drunk but releatively under control. When to four more years of college and started loosing control. Graduation time got a job and was a roring drunk, my wife drinks a little and rarley overserved, I was an idot this weekend. I dont know how I can face my aunts and uncles again. I hope that this no beer feb can be my savior. I worried about my health liver, and I m just done trying to fool myself that I dont have a problem. I may or not be able to drink ever again, but if I do it is going to be on my terms, anymore failures and ill hang up beer for good. My wife disearved more and so do I.
Welcome Auser. I'm new here too. I'm reading this and realizing that your situation is extremely similar to mine!

Saturday I drank with extended family and blacked out. I woke up at 5 am and realized my last memory was sitting at the bar. I was so hung over the next morning that I had to skip breakfast. I couldn't even function. My wife was so pissed, and she doesn't deserve this. My kids don't deserve this.

Anyway I just saw some similarities in our situations and wish you the best. I know I will have that demon addictive voice screaming at me to drink Thursday or Friday, and will need to be strong. Good luck to you and keep us posted!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

day 4

Well I have make it another day. I slept really well last night. My aunt text me this morning and wants me to start respecting myself and my wife by stop drinking. I thought wow I that much of a drunk that my aunt out of the blue just text me. She cares and I am so lucky to have all the someones in my life who still care. Clarity that is what happens to me, I at a bar or somewhere black out and wake up early in the morning with the worst hangover and wife ready to leave me. We had a big fight last night about nothing I think Im just irritable. Tonight would be my first drinking night of the week so wish me luck, but I really dont feel Im in any danger of drinking, just more worried in the future. Im so ashamed.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go on 4 days!
I'm sure it wasn't easy to get that text, but it's really good that you can see she sent it because she cares. It takes time to let go of the shame/guilt - all we can do is focus on staying sober today and trust that things will fall into place with time.

Be good to yourself. None of us ever planned to become alcoholics and hurt the ones we love. You're doing something about it now and that's awesome!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

well

Had a couple beers yesterday. Then stopped and hung out, no problem. Today had one when I was grilling and then gonna have dinner maybe one later tonight. We will see. Enjoying not being a fumbling idiot
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auser View Post
I have tried not drinking too much and have failed miserably.
Hi Auser. You wrote the above at the beginning of Feb. keep your eye on the prize. Sobriety is the best prize out there.

I tried to moderate for 18 months. It was the most torturous 18 months of my life. I'm finding none is a lot easier to count in my head.

Your Aunt loves and cares for you. Stick around buddy.

S x
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

another day

Well doing great had a few beers over the weekend in a spread of 3 days. Had a wonderful time with my wife. Drank coffee and tea in between beers. No hangovers all weekend. This is great I hope I can keep this up.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Moderation never worked for me - not in the long haul - a couple of weeks maybe - even a couple of months once - but inevitably I drank again, the way I used to.

I have no control when I drink.

Those times when I *thought* I had control were a bait and switch - they really lulled me into complacency and a false sense of security.

My addiction knew how to play me... like a fiddle.

I guess you're determined tho Auser - so I hope it works out differently for you.

If it doesn't you know where we are

D