My long overdue update

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My long overdue update

Been way too long since I've posted, sorry. I was pretending to myself that I had recovered from co-dependancy, but the truth is that I have a long way to go.

I managed to kick my boyfriend out, sell my house and all of its bad memories( first husband died of alcoholism after 25 years of marriage) and find myself a funky loft downtown. Boyfriend moved back home with his mother, which is where I had found him in the first place. That should've been my first clue that he was a bad idea. But no, I was hip to addiction and could save him. I digress.

His mother put up with him for two years and finally booted him out when he became violent. He mixes street drugs, booze, and prescription drugs and becomes quite crazy. We both remained strong and held boundaries and he is now floor surfing in homeless shelters.

Yet here is where the depths of my illness and my need to continue to work on my recovery shows. I still allow him to visit about once a week for coffee or a meal! Yes, I am nuts! He shows no signs of recovery, blames everyone else for his pathetic situation, and even though community support systems here are exellent and all he has to do is access them, he does not.

I know I have to let go. I've run out of patience countering every whine with an answer of available help out there. I'm now at the stage of answering it all with, " I'm sorry, I don't know what to say, I can't help you."
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((ninja)) - You will get there. It took me a while to stop holding on, just a bit, but I got tired of nothing changing and eventually went NC.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ninja, he may be stuck in his addiction but you sound like you have come a long way and are in a good place today.

Sometimes it's hard to move forward when they remain where they are, but forward we go, onward to a life worth living.

I'm glad you checked in, it's good to hear from our members no matter what their progress has been.

Hugs