Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I just started my recovery. I've been binge drinking for almost 20 years. I used to drink, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week. The last time I did it, I scared myself so I've decided that I've lost way too much drinking. My challenge is that I have support from my partner, but virtually none of my family and friends. Everyone says, "just don't drink so much." They don't understand that one drink is always going to turn into many with me. So, I've decided it is easier to abstain and, if need be, I will remove myself from situations where people try to pressure me into drinking. I'm joining the forum in hopes that it will help to interact with others and to read posts from others struggling with the same thing. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I'm on Day 22. This is a great place to come, read and post when you feel like you want a drink. I wouldn't have got this far without the site.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have my support! I'm in the same boat as you, have had a dangerous binge drinking problem for three years now and have had the same "just don't drink so much" reaction from friends. I wish it were as simple as that!

Welcome
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR

If someone is trying to pressure you to drink, it is probably because it makes them feel uncomfortable about their own issue's. Dont forget that old saying -"Misery LOVES Company" and I'll add, so do alcoholic's.

Anyone that would try to pressure you into doing something that you have decided is not good for you, cant be much of a friend, IMHO. It's not easy to distance yourself from 'drinking buddies' that you thought were your friends but you may want to re-define what what a 'True Friend' is for you....

In my case, I realized that not ALL the folks I drank with, fit into what my definition of a 'True Friend' is but were just 'drinking buddies' that I surrounded myself with to help justify my alcoholism.

Congratulations on your decision to get sober.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Welcome. In my experience, when you first stop drinking these are very big concerns. I can tell you for certain that as you get some good time under your belt, these types of concerns will become less and less important. I know exactly what you are saying and I went through the same thing. Every time I would be offered a beer for the first time by a drinking friend it was so uncomfortable and tense. Very hard. Now, at 90+ days I can say I don't even think about it. I don't care what anyone thinks. Just do what you know is right for you and you will get over these hurdles. Just be patient and take it day to day and you will get there. It is worth it.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

plodding along here (but not passing out!)

hey browngyrl: Day26 here. I'm a veteran relapser, but I'm hoping for (and working at) a real recovery. I've used SR before and found it helpful. This time I am taking a somewhat different route. I find it helpful to check in and read several times a day. I rarely comment, I just read what others are experiencing. I don't wait for those pangs of temptation to have a "few" brewskies (we all know it's never a few). I just plod along reading and thinking every day. I know my BigBrain is out there waiting to pounce on me and send me on a bender. However, just as I would an exercise regime or a diet or whatever, I build gradually and consistently. I keep at it every day. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. It's great to have support from your partner. That really helps and I've found SR to be very helpful as well. I'm only on day 16, but I feel pretty great and started working out. If your friends don't support you, then they aren't good friends and it's time for new ones.

I come back to SR every other day or so and read people's posts. It helps me stay focused and know that I'm not alone in this struggle.

Stay healthy!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you to everyone that replied. I appreciate the support. I agree that anyone that pressures me to drink is not a friend. Many of my family members are alcoholics so they are not excited to see me change either, but I'm not going to worry about. I'm not doing it for them and I can't live their life.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to be late - welcome Browngyrl

D
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I relapsed but I'm back on day 2 and i think this site is awesome!!!

I keep reading everyone else's posts and it motivated me to keep trying again knowing that eventually I'm going to make it.

It gives me hope.

Try to surround yourself with sober people with your best interests in mind.