Notices

Why I finally Quit...

Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Why I finally Quit...

I have been drinking 15 years and problem drinking for 10 of those years I have had many bad things happen in that time. Car crash, lost driving licence, bar fights, hospitalised from fighting drunk, arrested for d and d , have a criminal record because of drink related incident, woke up numerous times in a police cell,have fallen over hurt myself, hurt people that I love, spent a small fortune of alcohol, done things I thought I would never do. None of that was enough to make my stop maybe for others it would have been but i started to feel that no outside circumstance would ever have the right impact on me in order to finnally stop.

The reasons why I have finnally let alcohol go are because my daughter is nearly 3 and soon will be able to start understanding and remembering my drunk antics and I do not want her to be damaged by me and in turn become an alcoholic herself and have to live through the hell I have. And secondly the anxiety from the withdrawels became so bad that it actually outweighed the pleasure of drinking to the point now where any craving I have is stopped in its tracks because my mind now remembers how bad it will be the next day. I don't know why or how my mind has finnally got IT but it has and iam grateful. So I guess my reasons are my love for my daughter and my mental & physical health.

Hope everyone is well and blessed.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lion... That's very inspiring.

I agree... If we don't love ourselves enough we never stop. Sound like you found a place that works for you. Congrats!

Three is a great age.... Glad you won't miss it.... And she will be glad to have a dad that cares!

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like your post in that you say you "finally got it." I am hoping that I will finally get it too. Yes, and the children aspect of this problem/disease/issue is so profound and scary and very real-a true motivator.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lion, I'm so glad it's clicked for you. One of my motivations for quitting was my kids too, now the rest is for me. It's nice to feel healthy and have a clear mind and be able to be aware of what is going on around you. Good for you! :ghug3
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am amazed at what we alcoholics have to experience before we actually "get it" .
I became so insulated by my drunkeness I had to get to the point of physical and mental disablity before I could accept what drinking was actually doing to me.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Lionhearted!

Your daughter is very lucky to have her fathers love for her be his driving force.

You will stay strong for her!
TrixMixer
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Lion!!! Sounds like things are going well!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Lion *waves*

Sounds like you are at peace with your decision now. I'm so pleased for you. I would not want to go back now I have experienced the marvellous anxiety free mornings. I can't remember the last time I had that knot in my stomach or had to literally drag myself out of bed and into work.

Three is a lovely age, and you won't regret being there for your daughter or remembering her funny isms.

S x
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi,

I drank all through my kids' teens and have a lot of regrets. If I could go back, I would but I can't. Now my kids have the memories of me as a drunk and they cannot be removed. How lucky you will be to not have that. If every day is one you can be proud of and not regret, you have done something right. Your daughter will appreciate it in the long run.

jennikate