Notices

Just starting...

Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just starting...

Well, after much thought (and a few bad things happening...several?) I decided to become sober. I've thought and half-heartedly "tried" before, but never really took it very seriously. But now is the time I feel, and I look forward to this forum for help and advice.

I have thought about AA...and I may after a few days/week. I am not a particularly spiritual person and that part is a little weird to me. So I have not made up my mind.

My big fear of doing this is "social" awkwardness...because you know, we tend to obsess over alcohol in social situations more than the 'non-alcoholic' friend drinking a Bud Light right next to oneself.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

I had to avoid those social situations that would make me want to drink, at least until I was more secure in my recovery. No bars, no gatherings, no parties. Not for a couple months if I recall. Longer for some folks.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome drock! I'm so glad you joined us.

My drinking led me to a dangerous and scary place. I was so glad to find SR, where I could share my feelings with people who really understood what I was going through. My friends and family couldn't had no clue what it was like. You're not alone - you'll find all sorts of support and encouragement here. I think it will be very helpful for you. Congratulations on your decision to lead a better life.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, welcome,

I've been sober four and a half years now, and I have found AA to be a way to live sober HAPPILY. Because that's the key--most people don't find it so hard to stop as they do STAYING stopped. And if sober life sucks, might as well drink.

I have a little link I am going to share that tells you just about anything you might want to know about What to Expect at Your First AA Meeting.

You don't have to be a "very spiritual person" to benefit from AA. In fact, the whole idea is that most of us are kind of spiritually "broken" when we come in. Don't let the word "spirituality" freak you out too much. AA's Big Book defines "spiritual awakening" as a "personality change sufficient to recover from alcoholism." You don't have to be religious or even believe in a diety. It's all about allowing yourself to become the kind of person who doesn't need to drink to feel comfortable in your own skin.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome drock!

I'm really glad you decided that "this is the time." I put off getting sober, thinking that it would somehow get easier weeks or months the road and it never did. Coming here convinced me to jump in with both feet and I'm really glad I did.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We do understand how hard this is, and yeah, I avoided social situations where alcohol was involved for a long time. And, it was worth it.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi drock. Glad you're here.