Notices

Day 2 and counting! (Thanks to this forum)

Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kys

Day 2 and counting! (Thanks to this forum)

Thanks to the support here who encouraged me to see a GP to attack this, I feel proud to have made it through 2 days with zero alcohol.

I know it's not much but I've not drank probably 2 nights all up in the last 12 months and can't even remember the last night I went two nights in a row.

There's people here who encouraged me to see a GP to help me through this where as before I had a plan to taper off using alcohol, for me at least that plan was fraught with error - I can't thank those on this forum enough who encouraged to take this path. I feel so much stronger compared to my previous plan.

The post I speak of is this one below. I know I've got a hell of a long way to go and there may very well be bumps but I have never gone this far, and again those who replied to me are fantastic people with kind hearts.

I gave my specific situation and received positive guidance. And wasn't made to feel at all reflected if I failed (which I did at the start).

Again this is just the very beginning, but thank you to those who replied and all the other supporters here for helping me with this small but meaningful win

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...preciated.html
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im THRILLED to see this post! Good for you...keep it up and please continue to let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks Windancer!

And I'll be sure to keep posting here on a regular basis no matter what my progress. But I'm very hopeful and empowered right now
Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go Kys!!! Congrats on 2 days sober, not an easy feat. Keep up the great work.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats! Just curiouse wha did the Gp suggest. How did u stop.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Kys)) - YAY on 2 days!!! I remember when 2 HOURS seemed like an eternity, so yeah - 2 DAYS is awesome!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
I know I've got a hell of a long way to go and there may very well be bumps but I have never gone this far, and again those who replied to me are fantastic people with kind hearts.

I gave my specific situation and received positive guidance. And wasn't made to feel at all reflected if I failed (which I did at the start).

Again this is just the very beginning, but thank you to those who replied and all the other supporters here for helping me with this small but meaningful win

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...preciated.html
Congrats, Kys! It helps me to not worry about tomorrow or how long I have to go. Every morning I add "I will not drink anything today" to whatever I have to accomplish for that day. You're going to be amazed at how much better you will start feeling each day the poison isn't dumped in your body.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Kys

D
Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It all begins with the first step, and you're past that. So glad this place is helping you, it helps me too. You sound so positive and eager to do this, don't forget it. Thank you for sharing, great share!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kys

DAY 3 and counting

It's funny, I've read many statement here that support the following. but when you really do begin to stop allowing allowing alcohol to be a dampener on your life you really do open yourself up to all the possibilities life affords. Exciting, seems almost like something new because its been so long.

I've still got a long way to go of course. Almost always my problem drinking has been in solitude while socially it's been pretty tame. This will be a challenge for me in terms of do I allow myself alcohol in these (social) situations, or do I need to rethink this. I'd love some insight on this if anyone would like to PM me but of course here is more than fine too Right now however I'm completely abstinent and whatever happens I don't want to lose this optimistic and reminiscent mindset down the track.

If I 'break' at some stage then I hope to have the continued support I've had here. Boredom is still a big one for me to tackle, but I'm learning that the solution to that is much bigger and sensible than abusing alcohol.

@Vodkasaurus. Initially pursued some over the phone counselling (and still am) and came here and bounced around my plan to taper off using alcohol. While people here rightly self declare they're not medical experts I was however told of some health and even life threatening experiences people had in quitting without medical assistance, and that tapering using alcohol is generally a recipe for failure.

The GP assured me on both of these points - both that tapering isn't a practical or advised solution and there are real health dangers in stopping alcohol without some medical help. Basically the GP gave me some very short term medication to help lesson the withdrawal (which they have), I'm checking in again next week and we will also discuss longer terms strategies coupled with other forms of counselling help.

This is just my experience.

But all in all these forums have been an absolute saving grace. Only a few weeks ago I almost resigned to the thought that I'd be an alcoholic forever, but people here have gone through what I am and have overcomes it. Keep posting, people will listen and can offer insight in particular to what you're going through. I honesty never saw myself where I am now.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kys

Oh and I've bought myself the odd chocolate treat as a reward here and there