Notices

Cravings: Not Just Hours but Sometimes for Days?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings: Not Just Hours but Sometimes for Days?

Hi All. I haven't posted in a while, but I am a daily lurker, so first off a big thank you to everyone that shares their experiences and does post. It's a big help to me seeing all of your own struggles and successes.

I have gone 33 days. The difference this time around is that every time I think of alcohol I immediately tell myself, "it's poison, (literally), it is not an option". And this time, I am intentionally not counting the days. I am just trying to focus on the fact that "I won't drink today" and that I must just live my life as it is, whatever that entails.

My question is that I know cravings happen. I have read a lot on here about riding them out and that has helped immensely. But I am finding them coming more often these days. So I was wondering if anyone has found that they sometimes get cravings for an hour or a few hours or what not (what I typically think of as a craving), but also, if anyone get's waves of bad days strung together. Like a crappy week of cravings. Just knowing that a craving will pass in a few hours makes it that much more tolerable. So I was hoping the same held true of "weekly cravings" if there is indeed such a thing...

And on different note, I absolutely love my non-hungover, sober weekend coffee (so much so, that I now drink two)!

Sorry this took so long to write, thanks for reading!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had weeks of bad days. It does get better. Sugarbear told me that 90 days would feel so different from 60. She was right.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on 33 days Wastedtimes!

I found my cravings lasted longer if I focused on them too much. It's kind of like how one negative thought leads to another. It sounds daft but my biggest tool was distraction. Every time I had a craving I thought 'well you can't drink so best do something else'. In the early days I had a list of stuff I enjoyed doing which wasn't drinking and just did something off that til the craving passed.