Notices

New to recovery

Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

Hey all! Sober for a month as of Febuary 3rd. Was feeling pretty good for the past month just knowing i was finally making a serious effort at staying clean, but that has come to an end.

I've been having mood swings lately, thoughts of my past actions that i previously had no recollection of are coming up, and every time they do i feel this horrible anxiety feeling in my chest and face. I'm terribly shy now to new people, and i dread going to class because i get so anxious and feel like everyone's looking at me (semester just started).

Today i was irritable, lethargic, and just pretty annoyed all day. My homework stressed me out really bad today, it was overwhelming to even read, millions of thoughts kept coming in and out of my head as i was trying to focus.
I think about my recent ex girlfriend now that I've gotten sober even though we've been broken up for about 5 months and this also gives me a lot of anxiety like feelings, but it's a lot better than when i first got sober.

Sorry, this stuff has just been getting to me. I know I've only been clean a month and used for years i just wanted to get all this stuff I've been feeling off my chest. Definitely feels a little better just to let it all out.

I've heard the first year can be pretty rough, i get so nervous thinking about it. School especially has been making me so nervous just thinking about all the work i'll have to do. When i was out there i didn't care about anything else, so all these feelings are quite new. I want it to get better :\

overall i'm so happy i can actually stay sober today! just not sure how to deal with all these feelings coming up. Thanks for reading one and all.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your month!

I can definitely relate to feeling anxious and overwhelmed! I suffered from panic attacks for the first few months of sobriety; even ended up having an ambulance called for me once! Since you're at school, are there mental health services on campus you can take advantage of? Sometimes it can be a relief to talk to someone.

This is a great place to come for support!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

sometimes there are AA meetings on campus.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR

Congratulations on your sobriety! You have made the best decision of your life and things will only get better as time goes on.

Remember that we are always here, so dont hesitate to post anytime you need some support. We have all gone through the same feelings and can testify that they do lessen and eventually stop with time.

While few of us actually know each other, we are one big family and you are our newest member!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey there, its my first day here too, all the best hope u get plenty of support and encouragement to continue down the right path.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on a month Happyguy and welcome to SR

I was really irritable early on, it does pass. Try to just focus on today and don't let any future or past worries stress you out x