Notices

At The Beginning of Pain Medication Detox

Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile At The Beginning of Pain Medication Detox

Greetings to all who are posting here. I am new, as of today, and I am appreciating all the things that have been posted about withdrawal from opiates and detox suggestions. I hope to find some ideas to help me as I go along, I am very early in the process, and am tapering my hydrocodone pretty quickly. Any suggestions as to which forum I should post in for help on this topic would be greatly appreciated ~~~~~~~~~~~

I wish everyone the best with their battles against this horrible chemical disease ....

Many Blessings ~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Check out the substance abuse area. Lots of help and info over there as well! This area is always good, though.

Keep up the good work! This is the first step of a wonderful journey.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're always welcome here in Newcomers, and I'm glad you made the decision to stop using the drugs.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you talked with your doctor?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes Sugarbear, I have talked to her, she is my primary care doctor. She is the one who prescribes the hydrocodone for me, and she refuses to prescribe subutex for me. So now I am trying to do it by myself, using what I have to help me through the withdrawals. I have discovered that things have changed in the pain management world since I was last in it, which was about a year ago. The one who helped me detox before, in 2009, is no longer 'detoxing patients', and requiring very expensive urine tests on each visit. I have no health insurance, so I have to pay cash for everything I do. The urine test itself is $600-700, I was told, so that doctor is not not an option for me.

I am trying to do this without subutex at all. I will see how that goes ............... I expect there will be huge crash at the end when I finally jump off everything ................. whichscares me to death.

Thank you for your post, and Take Care ~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it. Just keep telling yourself 5 days.... If you can make it through that first 3-5 days you'll be fine. The beginning is hell but it won't kill you. You need to force yourself to do anything you can to distract from the WD's. Walks and any other kind of exercise will help as will hot baths. Change your sheets, get your room tidy so you won't feel as depressed, gather some movies and books (inspirational ones and nothing about drugs!) and if there's a friend or family member who could watch over you for a bit, enlist that support. Get some vitamins, gatoraide, supplements (see lists on various detox websites about which supplements help) and go to battle. Get angry. Get mad at the drugs for stealing your life and your health. Get so pissed off you see those pills as the enemy. Time to go to war! Good luck!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Excellent advice, thank you so much. You are totally right about this being the enemy. Alcohol is also an enemy for me, but that is gone now, not dealing with any symptoms of that anymore, just these opiate symptoms. I live alone, with my wonderful pets. I literally have almost no one to talk to about this. ALmost all my family members have passed away, and the ones that remain live out of state from me. Good thing I am a very independent gal. I kinda feel like being alone anyway. IT's not fun to be feeling out of sorts around other people, for me. I am not a fan of meetings either. Which may be why I have relapsed twice in my life. Once on alcohol, and once on opiate pain med. The pain med I tooki out of necessity for pain again. I was dying, the pain was so bad. But I think my pain is better now, as I am physically stronger than I was the first time I went through detox. So here I Go again ...............

Doing my best